Grainfather G40/G70 Discussion Thread: Questions, Tips and Tricks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be working on my second brew this weekend and was comparing Brewers Friend to GF recipe input. They are pretty close, but some distance between OG/FG and ABV, SRM, and total water. Especially different sparge amounts. I did full volume for my first batch, which was a pre-crushed kit. This next one I'll do the crush myself, but using a hand mill while I wait for the roller to arrive.

Anywho...is the experience in using BF or GF recipe builders favor one over another? At some point I'll be doing my own recipes but I would like to get a handle on which is more accurate for me. I have never tried beer smith.

I did my second brew and things went better than the first. I did a sparge and follwed GF app numbers. I also used a brew bag since I did the crush myself. I thought the crush was more fine than it should be, which is why I used the bag. Based off the reported efficiency (69.4%), I think I could have gone smaller.

My OG was 1.058, and target was 1.064. Still have some adjustments to make, but seems like the efficiency using an electric brew might not get much better.

Gonna try this again...any takers?

I am about 6-7 brews into the G40 and I just about have the settings dialed in. I am not sure if this is a good thing or not, but I mostly use kits for now. I am trying some 1 gal batches until I get something I like. So all the grains and instructions are pretty much standard. The only thing I see different is the water profile based on how my G40 is performing. On my first brew I think I was at 58% efficiency, and now my last to (according to the GF app) I was 88% and 86%. Is this normal? I build my profile on 77 or 80 depending on how I think I can do. Needless to say, my last brew was an Oktoberfest clone and it came out to 6.34% abv, so maybe a maibock? I don't mind the higher abv, but should I consider changing something in the profile to hit the expected numbers or just keep going?

I think you will have problems getting consistent numbers with such small batches. Even when using a brew bag. I usually aim a little high and add water at the end to get to where I want.
Check your temperatures during mash too. It’s really easy to be off of what the Grainfather is saying and miss numbers because the mash was too low. Extending mash times and doing step mashes can help with consistent numbers.

In addition, if you are buying kits, the grain milling may not all be the same. the finer the grain is milled, the better efficiency. I mill my own grain, so my mash efficiency is pretty consistent from batch to batch.

Back