New Grainfather G30 240v Owner - Any tips for using this thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nagorg

If a frog had wings...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey HBT... I just picked up a Grainfather G30 240v system. I've not new to brewing at all but obviously have never brewed on an electric "BIAB Like" system before.

Any tips from lessons learned out there?

For example, I found the GF30 equipment profile. But I'm really curious about changes from my normal batch sparge process to what I thing will now be a Fly Sparge and related water volumes, Grain Bill limits etc...

Any other info would be welcome, even if its "Go read this thread" or "See this site" or "watch this video..." Hopefully not "Let me Google That for You".. :p

Congrats on your set up . I love mine . Works great. Imo the GF app is spot on for recipes , water amounts ect...

Congrats on your set up . I love mine . Works great. Imo the GF app is spot on for recipes , water amounts ect...

Thanks for the tip.. I have especially been interested in this part. While I haven't read all 120 pages of the referenced HBT thread, I have noticed several folks saying that they would use BeerSmith for the recipe and then put that in the GF App for water volumes. All of that seemed convoluted to me so I wanted to see for myself.

So I took a recipe I had scaled in BeerSmith for the G30 equipment profile and entered it into the GF app. Right off the bat I did notice the variance for water volumes between Strike water and Sparge water. So I started looking into what might be causing the difference.

The biggest factor affecting this appears to be the Grain Absorption rate being used for GF -vs- BeerSmith.

It looks like GF uses something like 0.765 fl oz/oz of grain. (0.0959 Gallons/Pound)

BeerSmith has 2 different Grain Absorption rates, one for BIAB and another for all other methods.

BIAB - 0.586 fl oz/oz of grain
Everything else - 0.96 fl oz/oz of grain

If there was a way to change this rate per recipe or equipment profile in BeerSmith, I think that would be key for making the two align. But from what I can see in the current version of BeerSmith, this rate is set globally in the app so changing it would affect all recipes regardless of equipment profile. Hmm...

Other that that, I can get closer to the GF sparge water volume in BS by changing the mash water to grain ratio for a thinner mash of 1.5 quarts per pound. But strike water and resulting total water volume remains higher using BeerSmith.

Lots of folks seem to report a slow boil so I wondered about boil-off rate. But that's not it because GF and BeerSmith calculate this exactly the same.

Maybe I'll ping Brad to see if he could allow a custom Grain Absorption rate somehow.

Looks like others have been wanting better options for setting grain absorption ratios in BeerSmith for a few years now. I submitted a specific ask for this related to the GF discrepancy.

Since others have asked before and its not made it int BeerSmith, I'm not holding my breath... But it never hurts to ask.

Thanks @Chorgey . I took a quick look at that info and its pretty intriguing.

The GF Equipment Profile's I have in Beersmith are from an add-on I believe. I do see some variance for the various settings in what I have -vs- whats listed on that Github link. So I'll have to look deeper at this and play with some comparisons.

One thing I'm also noticing is that the boil-off rate is different between the 110v and 240v profiles. So I'll pay attention to that also when comparing to whats in GF.

FWIW, I actually got a response back from Brad Smith saying this about the grain absorption settings:
"At the moment they are global, but I've made a note to consider adding them to the equipment profile in the future."

So one can hope.... This would be another dial and lever that could be pulled in BeerSmith for those that want to do it.

First Grainfather batch in the books. Long post but this is the story...

Everything went well I'd say. There are certainly a few process timing things for me to adapt to. I'm used to brewing 10G-15G batches with obviously more water, propane burners and related time swing for getting strike/sparge water ready.

I prepped my strike water (put it in the Grainfather to mash volume), started the brew session in the App and the thing started heating right away. This thing heats pretty fast; I barely had enough time to weigh my grain and crush it before it was time to dough-in. lol I'll do that stuff ahead next time...

One thing to note, I had been prepared to heat the strike water higher than mash temp to account for heat loss from adding the grain. The app even tells you it's going to do that so that you're at mash temp after dough-in. But you only see that once; next thing you see is that its getting to target mash-temp.
At dough-in, both the app and the controller read mash temp instead of what should have been a higher strike temp. I doughed-in anyway but the temps never dropped below mash target.
So maybe the app produced a higher strike temp but never shows that to you when in its "auto" mode? Not sure but I'll have to try manual next time to see.
Anyone have info about this? It was a little confusing but in the end, no problems.

Grain in, re-circulation mash begins. I have to say this part is really awesome. I've wanted to re-circulate the mash on my bigger system before and now I have to make that happen.
While the mash is underway, I start getting my sparge water ready in one of my smaller kettles. I've got everything ready, including my chugger pump and hoses so that I can fly sparge. In my head, I'm guessing when to start heating it. And when I was getting ready to light my burner, the app beeped with a notice that I should start heating sparge water now. lol Another pretty awesome thing.

Mash time has been hit, the Grainfather now starts a mash-out on its own. (with a notification of course..) This was really cool too and my first ever mash-out, I always batch sparge.
Mash-out complete, time to fly sparge. I found that lifting the grain basket up and twisting it onto the resting clips took a little more effort than I expected. It wasn't that hard but the weight of the grain and wort plus the height and position you are in requires a little upper body strength. I'm not sure I'd want to do that on a bigger system. Or maybe I just need more time in the gym... lol
Once you start the sparge process in the app, it starts heating to boil temp right away.

Sparge complete. Now I'm letting it sit on top, waiting for it to finish draining. This is a little awkward because you cant really see whats happening or know if its finished or not without lifting it to see. But lifting it causes a little more dripping. ha
So for me, I wound up just leaving it there until the wort temp was ~205. I set it aside and got ready for the boil to begin.

I started to see some pre-boil action and resulting foam buildup. I'm not a skimmer but for some reason I wanted to skim this time so I went to get my spoon and pitcher. But before I could start skimming, the boil was already beginning and I had a large buildup of foam nearing boil-over.
I started stirring like a mad-man and even had to scoop some off with my pitcher but was able to prevent a bad boil-over even though a small amount did run over and down the outside. But a very small amount luckily. Hot break happened and crisis was avoided.

Most of the semi-negative posts I've seen about the 110V G30 are related to a slow/low boil vigor. I can tell you that this is NOT a problem for the 240v G30. This thing heats pretty fast and produces a vigorous boil.

Once the boil finished, its time to chill with the counter-flow chiller. Another first as I use immersion chillers. I've been really skeptical about this being able to cool to pitching temp from kettle to fermenter but folks seem to say good things.
Fermenter sanitized, chiller attached, bucket of ice water and extra ice bags ready for being pumped through the coil...
My result? Wort temp was ~81.7 in the fermenter and that was with me using ice water through it. I cant imagine this being very effective with ground water.

Thats hardly pitching temp IMO. I typically prefer to pitch at or slightly below fermentation temp. But no real problem, I put the fermenter in my ferm-chamber and let it cool the wort to pitching temp.

Now its time to clean. Cleaning the grain basket was pretty easy. I simply dumped the grain out, washed and wiped the stuff down with a hose and sponge.
But cleaning the Grainfather itself I find to be a little laborious. But this is only because of how may times I had to disconnect the controller and hook it back up again from start to finish. Take it off for initial hosing out of trub. Put it back on again for a hot PBW cycle, through the chiller and re-circ arm. Off again to dump and hose out PBW solution. On again for the clean water rinse...
This wasnt hard but it was a little tedious and certainly added to overall time on brew-day. I feel like any time gains I had from the faster brew process were lost in clean-up.

So there ya go. Thats how it went. My target OG was 1.064 and I hit 1.063 so I'm pretty happy with that. All in all, its a pretty cool system and I look forward to brewing on it again. I'm sure that the more I brew on it, the more in-tune with it I'll become and maybe find some process improvements along the way.

I may have to seek a more efficient chiller though. If anyone has tips for how to improve this, let me know. Maybe slow the wort flow so it spends more time in contact with the cold water its passing through?

Last edited:
I may have to seek a more efficient chiller though. If anyone has tips for how to improve this, let me know. Maybe slow the wort flow so it spends more time in contact with the cold water its passing through?
Glad to hear that this worked out well for you.

Regarding the cooling, it's best to slow the wort flow.

First Grainfather batch in the books. Long post but this is the story...

Everything went well I'd say. There are certainly a few process timing things for me to adapt to. I'm used to brewing 10G-15G batches with obviously more water, propane burners and related time swing for getting strike/sparge water ready.

I prepped my strike water (put it in the Grainfather to mash volume), started the brew session in the App and the thing started heating right away. This thing heats pretty fast; I barely had enough time to weigh my grain and crush it before it was time to dough-in. lol I'll do that stuff ahead next time...

One thing to note, I had been prepared to heat the strike water higher than mash temp to account for heat loss from adding the grain. The app even tells you it's going to do that so that you're at mash temp after dough-in. But you only see that once; next thing you see is that its getting to target mash-temp.
At dough-in, both the app and the controller read mash temp instead of what should have been a higher strike temp. I doughed-in anyway but the temps never dropped below mash target.
So maybe the app produced a higher strike temp but never shows that to you when in its "auto" mode? Not sure but I'll have to try manual next time to see.
Anyone have info about this? It was a little confusing but in the end, no problems.

Grain in, re-circulation mash begins. I have to say this part is really awesome. I've wanted to re-circulate the mash on my bigger system before and now I have to make that happen.
While the mash is underway, I start getting my sparge water ready in one of my smaller kettles. I've got everything ready, including my chugger pump and hoses so that I can fly sparge. In my head, I'm guessing when to start heating it. And when I was getting ready to light my burner, the app beeped with a notice that I should start heating sparge water now. lol Another pretty awesome thing.

Mash time has been hit, the Grainfather now starts a mash-out on its own. (with a notification of course..) This was really cool too and my first ever mash-out, I always batch sparge.
Mash-out complete, time to fly sparge. I found that lifting the grain basket up and twisting it onto the resting clips took a little more effort than I expected. It wasn't that hard but the weight of the grain and wort plus the height and position you are in requires a little upper body strength. I'm not sure I'd want to do that on a bigger system. Or maybe I just need more time in the gym... lol
Once you start the sparge process in the app, it starts heating to boil temp right away.

Sparge complete. Now I'm letting it sit on top, waiting for it to finish draining. This is a little awkward because you cant really see whats happening or know if its finished or not without lifting it to see. But lifting it causes a little more dripping. ha
So for me, I wound up just leaving it there until the wort temp was ~205. I set it aside and got ready for the boil to begin.

I started to see some pre-boil action and resulting foam buildup. I'm not a skimmer but for some reason I wanted to skim this time so I went to get my spoon and pitcher. But before I could start skimming, the boil was already beginning and I had a large buildup of foam nearing boil-over.
I started stirring like a mad-man and even had to scoop some off with my pitcher but was able to prevent a bad boil-over even though a small amount did run over and down the outside. But a very small amount luckily. Hot break happened and crisis was avoided.

Most of the semi-negative posts I've seen about the 110V G30 are related to a slow/low boil vigor. I can tell you that this is NOT a problem for the 240v G30. This thing heats pretty fast and produces a vigorous boil.

Once the boil finished, its time to chill with the counter-flow chiller. Another first as I use immersion chillers. I've been really skeptical about this being able to cool to pitching temp from kettle to fermenter but folks seem to say good things.
Fermenter sanitized, chiller attached, bucket of ice water and extra ice bags ready for being pumped through the coil...
My result? Wort temp was ~81.7 in the fermenter and that was with me using ice water through it. I cant imagine this being very effective with ground water.

Thats hardly pitching temp IMO. I typically prefer to pitch at or slightly below fermentation temp. But no real problem, I put the fermenter in my ferm-chamber and let it cool the wort to pitching temp.

Now its time to clean. Cleaning the grain basket was pretty easy. I simply dumped the grain out, washed and wiped the stuff down with a hose and sponge.
But cleaning the Grainfather itself I find to be a little laborious. But this is only because of how may times I had to disconnect the controller and hook it back up again from start to finish. Take it off for initial hosing out of trub. Put it back on again for a hot PBW cycle, through the chiller and re-circ arm. Off again to dump and hose out PBW solution. On again for the clean water rinse...
This wasnt hard but it was a little tedious and certainly added to overall time on brew-day. I feel like any time gains I had from the faster brew process were lost in clean-up.

So there ya go. Thats how it went. My target OG was 1.064 and I hit 1.063 so I'm pretty happy with that. All in all, its a pretty cool system and I look forward to brewing on it again. I'm sure that the more I brew on it, the more in-tune with it I'll become and maybe find some process improvements along the way.

Glad your brew went good with it. As far as the cfc , you have to slow the wort down . The faster it goes the warmer the wort will be. Just choke it down a bit .

@Jag75 @Chorgey @Dave77
Looks like Brewfather nails the water volumes inline with the GF app. I cut my teeth with BeerSmith and really trust it for recipe formulation. Hopefully Brad will make it possible to do a per equipment profile water absorption rate as that does look to be the key.

Until then, maybe look at Brewfather as an alternative. I like Brewfather but man, it and BeerSmith do not agree on other things like SRM, %ABV, IBU etc...

Seems like the "best" option still is to build your recipe in BeerSmith and transfer it to the GF app for water volumes and brew session control.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back