Grain substitution question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekybobo

Reaction score
Looking at brewing skeezer's Wooky Jack clone. My LHBS doesn't have cararye, though... Is there any substitute for this that people have used and found o be acceptable?

You could always use rye malt for the rye flavor and some crystal malt as a substitution. Cararye is ~60L, so half pound rye and half pound C60L would be an alternative. For that much rye flavor, though, you might need to do 1 pound rye malt and half pound C60.

pdxal said:
You could always use rye malt for the rye flavor and some crystal malt as a substitution. Cararye is ~60L, so half pound rye and half pound C60L would be an alternative. For that much rye flavor, though, you might need to do 1 pound rye malt and half pound C60.

Cool. I'll try the blend of rye malt and C60. I've got C60 on hand. The recipe calls for 1.66 lb rye malt and .5 lb cararye, so I'm thinking 1.66 lb rye malt and a blend of .25 lb rye malt and .25 C60. Sound right?

Back