grain sub.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubajay

Reaction score
I was at my lHBS last weekend and I was picking up the ingridents for a Red Ale the recipet called for 7 lbs of Weyermann Munich II. The shop didnt have any so the employe talked me into 7 lbs of domestic 6 row. He said the beer would just have a slightly diffrent tsaste profile. Any thoughts on this? should I brew it or start over and get the proper Ingrident? I just want a good red that I can serve this summer and I'm not concerned with sticking with a set recipet but I do want a good product.

I think vienna would have been a better choice flavor wise .. Something about 6-row needs an additional protein rest. Whatever that is.

Something about 6-row needs an additional protein rest.
umm that is not true at all. 6-row is a mostly blan base malt that is used mainly with wheat beers because the husk is bigger allowing you to negate the need for rice hulls. MANY of my last brews have been 6-row based due to it being on sale at my LHBS and there is no needed rest. FWIW the ONLY malt that needs a rest anymore is some pilsner malts (Weyerman's bohemian pils is the exception)

Munich II and 6-row are not even close... I mean at all. How much malt are we talking here? If you could post up the original recipe and what was subbed that would help a lot. also are the grains all mixed together?

umm that is not true at all. 6-row is a mostly blan base malt that is used mainly with wheat beers because the husk is bigger allowing you to negate the need for rice hulls. MANY of my last brews have been 6-row based due to it being on sale at my LHBS and there is no needed rest. FWIW the ONLY malt that needs a rest anymore is some pilsner malts (Weyerman's bohemian pils is the exception)

Munich II and 6-row are not even close... I mean at all. How much malt are we talking here? If you could post up the original recipe and what was subbed that would help a lot. also are the grains all mixed together?

Thanks . Learn something new everyday. :rockin:

Didn't have Munich or Weyermann Munich? If it didn't have Munich, that's pretty poor. And 6-row is not even close to a substitute for Munich, in my opinion.

As mentioned above, Vienna could be a substitute. But Munich is a base malt that a LHBS should carry.

JRems said:
You probably would be better off with regular Munich than 6 row

Yessir. Or hell, even Vienna would be closer. 6 row is similar is flavor profile to regular 2 row. It has a grainier flavor, and a higher diastatic power

What they said. Domestic 6-row is no way even close to a sub for Munich malt. That LHBS guy needs to at least read a basic brewing book. That's like saying a cheap vodka is a good sub for a single malt Scotch. If you have the ingredients already just go ahead an brew it , the beer will still be drinkable although nothing like the original recipe.

It has a grainier flavor, and a higher diastatic power

Beat me to a post edit. The bolded part is also why it is commonly used with wheats. While on this subject you will need to add about 1 pound extra per 10 pounds of 2-row in your calculations to get the same original gravity because the hull is larger and that means less fermentable sugars...at least that is the way I gleen it. :mug:

Looking at recipes it looks like 6 row is not used much other than Wheat beers

As a rule of thumb this is true, however...I have done recently a pseudo Hamm's beer clone, 2 slightly different American Dopplebocks, and am planning a Stout all with 6-row as the base malt. It is a base grain after all. The reason most people do not use it is because it takes about 1 pound extra to get the same starting gravity as using 10 pounds of 2-row.

My LHBS has had crazy good prices on 6-row and so I have been using it in MANY of my brews. I have already brewed and am drinking an American smoked brown and had a 1/2 bbl of yellow fizzy beer that was 90% 6-row and many more that used it as 1/2 or less of the grain bill.

It is not a bad malt and your grain bill/beer may be VERY salvageable and still do-able if we have the requested info.

We need to see the original recipe and know what the quantities were and of what was subbed for the 6-row...

FWIW Munich II is a fairly uncommon malt (folks before made it sound like every LHBS should have 50# in stock.) However normal Munich may have been in stock, if so it would not be all that hard to toast a pound or 2 in your oven (there are ways to calculate it) and make your own Munich II malt. If your LHBS does not have standard Munich a decent sub is Veinna, as mentioned.

Just because you have a little extra base malt doesn't mean we still can not get this headed in the right direction... ;)

After getting some bad advice on a hops sub on my last visit to my LHBS, I've decided to call ahead on every purchase day to check availability. Then I can at elast try to make an informed decision, rather than trusting the owner's brother, who (also come to find out) doesn't brew.

Well, someone had already requested a recipe, and he has yet to post it.

Thanks for all the great advise I'll post the original receipt and the subs made when I get home tomorrow

Tunis for all the help here is the origenal receipt
7 lbs weyermann Munich II Malt
2 lbs weyermann carahell
2 lbs American 6 row
Yeast 3538

This is what they sold me
7 lbs 6 row
2 lbs caravinne
2 lbs belg Munich
.5 lbs crystal 80
White labs belgine ale yeast

Tunis for all the help here is the origenal receipt
7 lbs weyermann Munich II Malt
2 lbs weyermann carahell
2 lbs American 6 row
Yeast 3538

This is what they sold me
7 lbs 6 row
2 lbs caravinne
2 lbs belg Munich
.5 lbs crystal 80
White labs belgine ale yeast

I would add in 2-3oz of debittered if you have it but even the non-debittered black patent OR I would add in 7oz of roasted barley. For what you are going for I would try the roasted myself because that is the flavor you are lacking from the Munich II.

As I mentioned before you can also toast a few pounds of Munich in your oven @ 250F for 15 minutes or until it looks about x2 as dark. If you do this, you should do it before you grind the grains.

It will not taste the same as the original recipe but I am willing to bet you will have a decent Red at the end of it.

Thanks for the advice I will pick up the roasted barley today and give it a try. I'll let you know how it turns out

I picked up 1 lb of roasted barley and Ill give that a try. thank everyone. I will let you know how it all comes out.

Back