Grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
If this is in the wrong place please move.

I finally ordered one of the 60lb Vittles vault containers. Amazon had a sale on first purchase so I got it for ~$38. :rock:

That cool and all, but when I have three different grains to store.....:no:

Home depot sells air tight lids for their homer buckets (well any bucket really). The black twist on ones, not the usual orange lid. I use those. Way cheaper than vittles vaults.

That cool and all, but when I have three different grains to store.....:no:
Depending on how much volume each grain takes up, you may be able to store all 3 inside the one Vittles vault. Just leave each in their own bag. Keep the most used one on top. ;)

You could narrow the bags (by stitching) if that helps to prevent them from "cauliflowering," once inside, making them difficulty to retrieve through the narrow mouth (opening).

I store my grain in bags, inside (odor free) plastic storage totes, placed on a (metal) utility rack. Whole or partial bags of base malt just sit or lie on the rack.

Those Vittle Vault containers use the same Gamma seal lids as I use on five gallon buckets. I like that the Vittle ones stack and you can access the contents without un-stacking them like I have to do with the buckets.

Make sure all of baggies of grain are marked what's inside, date them too so you know how old they are.

Home depot sells air tight lids for their homer buckets (well any bucket really). The black twist on ones, not the usual orange lid. I use those. Way cheaper than vittles vaults.

This right here is what i do! My buddy works at the depot so i got a nice deal on the both but even at regular price this way is cheaper and stackable like thr vittles

IMG_0190.jpeg

I use these I’ve got two 60L and one 30L.

Thanks. I'm sure there are a few times this wasn't done to plenty of folks.
I had about twenty pounds of mystery grain for awhile. Wasn't sure what to do with it. Since my brewing styles are similar I just started throwing in a handful with every batch.

Now I'm religious about marking each bag and putting a piece of paper inside with grain type and date.

Three or five gallon food grade buckets with sealing lids are usually available free at any big supermarket that has an in-store bakery. Frosting and shortening come in those buckets. They smell great if they had chocolate frosting! It won’t effect your grain.

I don't know anything about Vittle Vaults, but a friend of mine left a sealed Lowe's bucket full of grits at my house, and bugs had a festival in it. It didn't have the full lid with the big ring. Some kind of easy-open lid they sell.

I don't know anything about Vittle Vaults, but a friend of mine left a sealed Lowe's bucket full of grits at my house, and bugs had a festival in it. It didn't have the full lid with the big ring. Some kind of easy-open lid they sell.
They work great with the special air-tight lids. In home depot, they right next to the buckets in the paint section. I’m sure Lowe’s has a version as well. I wouldn’t trust the regular bucket lids.

They work great with the special air-tight lids. In home depot, they right next to the buckets in the paint section. I’m sure Lowe’s has a version as well. I wouldn’t trust the regular bucket lids.
Tractor Supply also sells the Gamma ring/lid that you can put on any bucket with the standard-sized lid.
IMG_7369.jpeg

I'm seeing a price of $26 which I think would be a pretty good deal for that size. But it says they are out of stock in my local club and not available for shipping.

I'm seeing a price of $26 which I think would be a pretty good deal for that size. But it says they are out of stock in my local club and not available for shipping.

They come in quite often. When I've seen them OOS, within a few weeks they are back. At least that is how its been. I've purchased 5 so far.

Can you order them, to ship to your local store? For the same price of course.
Call and ask?

Three or five gallon food grade buckets with sealing lids are usually available free at any big supermarket that has an in-store bakery. Frosting and shortening come in those buckets. They smell great if they had chocolate frosting! It won’t effect your grain.

This all day long. Free buckets and the Gamma lids should work with them. Got a small 2 gallon bucket to use for recirculating cleaner through my taps.

If you sweet talk the bakers, some of the nicer ones will wash and rinse them out for you. ;)

Lowes no longer sells Gamma Seal lids, they sell a knockoff. And near as I can tell, they removed a bunch of bad reviews because they used to have a bunch of bad reviews.

Lowe's and Home Depot both sell Leaktite brand screw top lids. Which makes sense since they also sell Leaktite brand buckets. Leaktite has been around since 1945, so I wouldn't exactly call them a knockoff brand. FWIW, there are 1191 ratings at HD; 868 five stars and 78 one star. Gamma lids are rated slightly higher at Amazon (80% five star with over 2000 ratings).

Has anyone tried storing grain in food grade plastic bags? They have some meant to fit 5gal buckets. I’d then twist tie the bags shut and put the bags in standard non-food grade buckets with standard non-air-tight lids.

Has anyone tried storing grain in food grade plastic bags? They have some meant to fit 5gal buckets. I’d then twist tie the bags shut and put the bags in standard non-food grade buckets with standard non-air-tight lids.
Can you give us a source for these bags? This sounds like a great way to store smaller amounts of multiple grains in one bucket.

I use a couple Gamma seal buckets for those smaller bags of grain. My grain supplier packages the grain in the bags already. I just make sure all of the small bags are marked what's in them.

I think regular zip lock bags would work fine. Not like you're going to need a lot of them.

Latest posts

Back