Grain storage and freshness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrtoastyman

Reaction score
Somewhat new to the brewing hobby, have done a few extract/specialty grain batches so far and contemplating just moving on to all grain, since that's the ultimate goal anyway. Part of the incentive would be to be able to just buy a bunch of the base malts in bulk to have on hand, save on cost, and minimize the number of trips to the LHBS.

Question is this: how do you store your grains, and do they get "stale" or "bad" if not used within a certain period of time?

I have grains that are over a year old. They are not stale. I would expect that I have lost some freshness but I don't perceive much difference. My base grains are in 5 gallon buckets that I got at a local dairy with Gamma Lids. The specialty grains are in different sizes of Lock and Lock containers. Hops are in vacuum bags and in the freezer. I have a yeast bank of frozen vials also in the freezer. I have 10-12 varieties.

I use a Corona style mill. If you store milled grains I would not keep them for more than a couple of months.

I concur, grains are fine after a year. I keep my grains in a cupboard in my brew room (which maintains normal house temps over the year), I leave them in the bags they come in and just tie up the top with some string after I open it.

Difference between fresh grain and 1 year old grain is zero in taste or efficiency for me, just gets a bit dustier when milling.

Hops I freezer in ziplocks, but don't worry too much about getting air out.

I moved a sack of golden promise that I bought 3 years ago today. It still smells like grain. I might get some fresh to do a comparison brew.

I've read the 50-70 is ideal. 90 is probably fine IMHO. vacuum sealing is a great idea.

I have a bag of crisp maris otter from Brewmaster's Warehouse that is over 3 years old that I imagine is in great condition. Completely unaffected by moisture or bugs in it's vacuum seal.

I've read the 50-70 is ideal. 90 is probably fine IMHO. vacuum sealing is a great idea.

I have a bag of crisp maris otter from Brewmaster's Warehouse that is over 3 years old that I imagine is in great condition. Completely unaffected by moisture or bugs in it's vacuum seal.

I think that's the big thing, keep it free from things that will eat and poop in it (bugs, critters, etc.) and keep it free from excessive moisture. With those two in mind, you're good for years to come.

My house is always sub 50% humidity, and wintertime is like sub 20% all winter long, so it works for me. Keep it off the cement floor (in a cabinet) and you're good.

What about dividing the grain into brew sizes batches (7-9 lbs) and vacuum sealing them? Storing at around 90 degress F?

Thanks

Are you raising the temperature or is this just summertime ambient? I would try to store them cooler. They should be ok as far as humidity if vacuum bagged.

Mine are in the basement which is 70 - 75 mid summer. I have about the same temperature in the winter since half my basement is a finished room and the furnace is in the half with my brewing stuff.

I keep mine in gamma sealed Homer buckets in my garage with no concern whatsoever to temperature and re-vacseal my spare specialty grains. No issues there. Of course I have not had a sack of grain last more than a couple months yet so we shall see. No visible weebles or staling. And I hear that those weevils wobble but will not fall down, though they all mash out okay in the end. Just store them as you will. Airtight containers are nice, keep critters out, and may extend the life of your grains.

And OP, AG is not necessarily the final destination for all brewers, you will find many seasoned vetrans who still PM as that is what works best for them, but I know what you mean.

Back