Grain Shelf Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wfu1bunn

Reaction score
I've got leftover crushed grains from previous batches. Was curious how long they are good for after opening. They have been in zip lock bag since opening.

Thanks.

Since they're not truly air-tight, it could be a month or perhaps even two. Taste it. If it tastes stale then don't use them. I know that others have said longer so YMMV. Where have they been stored?

Generally, a couple months, sometimes longer if they're kept cool & dry. Mine are in the Maillard Malts zip lock bags in a dunnage container On the bottom shelf of my wire rack off the floor. They keep pretty well that way. I try to order my grains uncrushed, but if they're crushed, I run them through the grain crusher on brew day anyway. Just to freshen them up & make sure the crush is even. Sometimes, it isn't.

I've heard that crushed grains are usually good for up to about 6 months if kept cool, dark and dry. Properly stored uncrushed grains can last for years

Back