Grain oops - what can I do with it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleiii

Reaction score
I made a 'popular lager' clone last night, and in the end it looked too dark and tasted odd. Turns out I had Caramunich in my Munich bin. What can I turn this into?

6lb Pilsner
1.75lbs flaked corn
1.5lbs C80
1lb Caramunich (supposed to be Munich)

It's not bad tasting, but I can't quite place the taste to know where to go. I fired up an Ale yeast starter to go with it, and thinking IPA. Any other ideas?

This was my first brew with my new RIMS and pump setup, and I was very pleased with the process, but not the result!

John

What was the og? has it finished fermenting?

I brewed it LAST NIGHT. Sitting in the basement at 65F. OG is 1.050.

Post chill I pulled a sample and saw how dark it was, and the taste was way off. That's when I found the wrong grain in the bin.

I would say pitch something before it gets infected and just roll with it - to offset all that crystal maybe whatever you have that's highest attenuating. Don't see how you're going to get an IPA with that grainbill, a 1.050 OG, and presumably boil hop additions that were meant for a lager. Who knows it may turn out fine since you're only going off the taste of unfermented wort, and tinkering too much may just make things worse.

I would say pitch something before it gets infected and just roll with it - to offset all that crystal maybe whatever you have that's highest attenuating. Don't see how you're going to get an IPA with that grainbill, a 1.050 OG, and presumably boil hop additions that were meant for a lager. Who knows it may turn out fine since you're only going off the taste of unfermented wort, and tinkering too much may just make things worse.

I was thinking dry hop to help hide the strong flavor. Very little late boil additions, so you're right there. Maybe just leave it as is and use the ale yeast and see how it goes. Plenty of carboys and space, so only loosing time and yeast (which I propagate) at this point.
I can't use it for the lager as it is a special brew that needs to be 'right'. Gotta redo that one.

Pitch whatever yeast floats your boat - when its done fermenting, taste it and if you want more hops - make a hop tea and blend it when you keg/bottle.

I agree with the previous poster - all that crystal will make for some unfermentable sugars - you may want to try a yeast that attenuates well.

You could also use your lager yeast on it - think of it as a giant starter!

Ferment it and drink it. It's beer! It may not be the beer that you were trying to make, but it's still beer.

I brewed it LAST NIGHT. Sitting in the basement at 65F. OG is 1.050.

Post chill I pulled a sample and saw how dark it was, and the taste was way off. That's when I found the wrong grain in the bin.

If it's a lager clone isn't 65F really high? What yeast are you planning to pitch?
You might want to convert it to an ale & pitch accordingly. S-05 or 1056.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If it's a lager clone isn't 65F really high? What yeast are you planning to pitch?
You might want to convert it to an ale & pitch accordingly. S-05 or 1056.

I chilled to to about 62 initially and was going to put in my cooler overnight before pitching the lager yeast, but since it came out wrong it sat overnight at basement temp of 65 while I pondered what to do.

The only yeast I had on hand (that did not require a multi step up) was WLP023 Burton Ale, so I used that with a 24 hr starter. Probably not the best choice, but it's what I had, and LHBS's are not too close. It still took about 24 more hrs to kick off, but it's going good now. I may take Patirck's suggestion and go with a hop tea at the end. Depends on what it tastes like when it's done.
John

Back