Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danhocker

Reaction score
Until now, I've been buying the pre-crushed grains online. I'm looking at getting a grain mill, but my budget is pretty low. I was wondering if something like this might work.

Norpro - Quality For The Cook

The website doesn't give a lot of info, but I was reading somewhere that it can definitely do cracked grains and is fully adjustable. Any thoughts?

It would probably work if it was adjustable.... but If it was me on a tight budget, I'd just go with a corona type mill. They've been proven cheap and highly successful over and over again.

Unless you really want a roller type mill.

That unit is very similiar to a $15 pasta roller, it will work, but is not the best approach to cheap milling IMO. As stated above, for 20 - 30 bucks you should be able to find a Corona mill on Ebay.

I received a similar, if not the same mill this Christmas. It is an Italian made mill. It is adjustable. Mine is made by Marcato. It also has the name Marga on the mill. It appears to be very well made and solid. I really wanted the Barley Crusher, but the wife did what she thought was best.

I did some searching on the internet, but didn't find much about this particular model. Did find this on this forum though, hope it is of value to you.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/thought-marcato-marga-mulino-grain-mill-217230/

Until now, I've been buying the pre-crushed grains online. I'm looking at getting a grain mill, but my budget is pretty low. I was wondering if something like this might work.

Norpro - Quality For The Cook

The website doesn't give a lot of info, but I was reading somewhere that it can definitely do cracked grains and is fully adjustable. Any thoughts?

I can't see what the price is but on the other thread people were buying it for $45 used. i would wait and save up for a BC or similar, or just get a corona.

I can't see what the price is but on the other thread people were buying it for $45 used. i would wait and save up for a BC or similar, or just get a corona.

I second this opinion. My Barley Crusher is one of my best investments. It wasn't that expensive considering some of my other costs.

Save up for a month or two and then buy the one that's designed to crush for home brewers.

I second this opinion. My Barley Crusher is one of my best investments. It wasn't that expensive considering some of my other costs.

Save up for a month or two and then buy the one that's designed to crush for home brewers.

Agree with this except I have the Cereal Killer for $99 and my eff. has went up 10% since buying it. I think they are now $10 off that price. Both are great choices.

Yeah, I'm always of the opinion of "buy it once and be done with it." The actual saying my step father used was "It doesn't pay to buy cheap", but I didn't want to use that here and tick off all the people that are using Corona Mills perfectly fine and happily. Many use them with no problems whatsoever and save a bunch of money but I figure for the cost a real mill is worth the price, but then again I'm not tight on money. If money is tight then yeah, go with what you can and get a Corona mill which will do the job just fine.

Rev.

Back