Grain Mill recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorJerry

Reaction score
Alright, what does everyone here recommend on the grain mill side of things? We do BIAB, 5 gallons at a time, hopefully scaling that up in the near future to 10-15 gallon batches. Any upgrades or DIY stuff that we can do so we can hook a drill up to it would be grreeeaaaat.

Thanks!

Lot's of threads and discussion on here.

After a thorough review of the posts and discussion - I bought a Monster Mill with three rollers and the large hopper. I run it with a DeWalt electric drill.

I set the rollers, mounted it to a table and it has been flawless going through 600 pounds so far. It's a beast.

What do we recommend? How much money do you have? :)

I have a monster-mill 3 as well and it's a beast. I have it hooked up to an All-American Aleworks motor and it's the nuts.

I previously used a Barley Crusher run off a drill. Worked well.

If you're looking for something in the $100 range, a Cereal Killer has had good reviews here by users. Can run off a drill.

One caution with a drill--if buying a new one, get something like a 1/2 HP motor from Harbor Freight. Most drills with which I'm familiar don't have a lot of torque--the only way to keep the mill going is to run it at a higher speed than you might like. The faster you run the mill the more likely the grain will be pulverized and potentially heated, and less of that is generally better.

BTW, if you get the MM3, you can plan, later, to add a motor to it. There is at least one other motorizing option out there that is decent, and less expensive than the AAW motor setup I have.

BTW, this is what it looks like:

millcartb.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I know there are a TON of threads on this site about mills, but sometimes research can be done quicker by asking, then by reviewing :)

My choices - depending on budget.

Inexpensive - generic corn mill AKA Corona mill.
Mid - Cereal killer or Kegco mill ~$99
Mid expensive - Monster Mill two roller models
Expensive - Monster Mill 3 roller model.

I have used a Corona style mill since Dec, 2011

Probably your best choice is to buy a nice mill, then run it with a hand drill until it works out for you to build a frame with a dedicated motor. Reference post by @mongoose33 above.

A really solid 3 roller mill like an MM3 is a very good investment as a starting point. A decent 1/2" hand drill will run this mill and get the job done. Then, when you feel the need for the best, you can always add a dedicated motor to run the mill. Gives your significant other an idea what you'd like for a gift later this year.

My choices - depending on budget.

Inexpensive - generic corn mill AKA Corona mill.
Mid - Cereal killer or Kegco mill ~$99
Mid expensive - Monster Mill two roller models
Expensive - Monster Mill 3 roller model.

I have used a Corona style mill since Dec, 2011

But first, and by far the most important, is to invest in a nice mill from which to build on. @kh54s10 has listed mills exactly as I would have done and feel his suggestions are on point.

I have a cranandstein 2s. Gap setting is a slep but if you stick to barley once set you are good. I power it with a old 550w variable speed makita drill. I start the drill before adding grain to the hopper. AND slow is better, if speed is too high it will not pull the grain through.

Crankandstein 3D is awesome. The unit has measured gap settings so you just click it into a gap setting then hand tighten the bolts to secure the roller and prevent it from slipping out of its set gap.

Great crush, consistent setting with no drift.

Last edited:
One caution with a drill--if buying a new one, get something like a 1/2 HP motor from Harbor Freight. Most drills with which I'm familiar don't have a lot of torque--the only way to keep the mill going is to run it at a higher speed than you might like. The faster you run the mill the more likely the grain will be pulverized and potentially heated, and less of that is generally better.

BTW, if you get the MM3, you can plan, later, to add a motor to it. There is at least one other motorizing option out there that is decent, and less expensive than the AAW motor setup I have.

BTW, this is what it looks like:

View attachment 564644

I'll just go ahead and take your mill set up! PM me for my address :)

Joking, of course, but that looks handy as heck.

I'll just go ahead and take your mill set up! PM me for my address :)

Joking, of course, but that looks handy as heck.

I spent a fair amount of time looking at other setups to figure out what I wanted. A useful place to look at such things is the AAW gallery: https://allamericanaleworks.com/gallery/

Page down to see them--there's an incredible ingenuity reflected in the ways people set up their mills, a terrific variety of tables and cabinets and even 2-wheel dollies used to set these things up. Obviously they're only showing setups using their motor, but adapting the ideas to other motors or drills is easy enough.

In my case, I had a specific space into which I needed to fit the mill, so the dimensions were predetermined.

millspace1.jpg

You can see the base of the mill cart--a furniture dolly. You can pick these things up for $10-20 at a home store, on sale. You can mount a cabinet directly on them or, in my case, I pulled off one end, cut the long sides down a bit, and reattached the end piece. That's so it would fit neatly next to the pegboard workbench.

It's the cheapest way to get caster wheels I know. :)

I did a similar thing when I put this set of shelves on wheels so I could snug it into other shelves, or easily pull it out:

buckets.jpg

Alright, what does everyone here recommend on the grain mill side of things? We do BIAB, 5 gallons at a time, hopefully scaling that up in the near future to 10-15 gallon batches. Any upgrades or DIY stuff that we can do so we can hook a drill up to it would be grreeeaaaat.

Thanks!
I've got a cheapest in China one going spare. Apparently I ordered two from different places. The perils of to much Homebrew.
So you can have that absolutely free. Collection from Scotland though.

Marga Mulino grain mill. Made in Italy, three rollers, hand crank default, magnetized hopper can be DIYed to larger volume, can fashion a shank to attach drill. Did I️ mention the 10 year warranty. $120.

Must play Mediterranean music while weighing and milling grains, though...

Marga Mulino grain mill. Made in Italy, three rollers, hand crank default, magnetized hopper can be DIYed to larger volume, can fashion a shank to attach drill. Did I️ mention the 10 year warranty. $120.

Must play Mediterranean music while weighing and milling grains, though...

I've used this mill for years to flake porridge oats. After just making the switch to AG brewing I was wondering if it would work for malt.

What setting do you use for the roller gap? - I think I can go for a finer crush as I'm doing BIAB.

Back