Grain Mill Motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bairsbrewing

Reaction score
I have a cereal killer mill and would like to hook up a motor to it, not that my drill isn't working good , I just want to get the rpms consistent. What have you used? What type of motor? Coupler? I have determined that an 18" pulley with a 2" drive pulley would get the the 9:1 ratio for a 3250rpm motor reducing the mill pulley to 365ish rpm. However, if I can find a direct drive motor....that would be much easier. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

I'd love to see this work out, because I'd do a similar thing. Not that I'm lazy, I just think it would be extremely cool to have hooked up. Pour the grains in while the mill does the work.

This is what I followed:

Wort-O-Matic: Sam's Motorized Grain Mill http://tinyurl.com/ndzoe8t

Pic of my setup:View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1438079665.374760.jpg

I didn't add the switches Sam did. Mine just starts immediately when plugged in. Also got the motor and power supply on eBay.

It works great for everything except wheat malt where it will get bogged down and even stop occasionally. Just mix your wheat with some regular malt and you'll be fine.

That's a pretty sweet setup there. I may do that in our new garage, thanks for the response!

On the one I made for my LHBS:

1/2 HP 1725 RPM Continuous Duty Motor, 56C frame
10:1 Gear Reducer
2 L-070 Lovejoy Couplings of proper shaft size depending on application
Bun-a spider for Lovejoy Couplings
Woodstock D4157 switch (did not wire the motor to reverse)

Total price was around $300, but worked like a charm, every day, all day. Plus, all components were serviceable and replaceable if needed.

I used an old 110vdc gear reduction motor and a $3 bridge rectifier coupled with an $8 ac wall dimmer switch to make a cheap speed adjustable ac to dc power supply... it actually works very very well... previously I had an old ac powered gear reduction motor that was on the verge of being too small for the job it worked but harder roasted grains had to be mixed well with softer light grains or it would lock up.

IMG_20150728_123555_353.jpg

IMG_20150728_123523_966.jpg

Back