Grain Mill - MM 2 vs. 3 roller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufessor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey -

My Barley Crusher has seen better days. It has served me well for 4000 lbs of grain (or more maybe).

Planning on buying a monster mill. I brew 6 gallon batches so usually talking 10-15lbs of grain. I want to power it with a drill.

Is there any benefit to 3 rollers over 2 for my needs? Does a 3 roller mill work as well as a 2 roller if I am using a drill? Or would I need to motorize?

I don't mind spending a little more if the 3 roller mill would be worth it/necessary. However, I don't want to spend more if there is not need - or worse, it makes it so I can't use a drill to power, etc.

Thanks

I'm guessing attempting to use a drill on a 3 roller would be dramatically under powering it. I haven't side by sided but my understanding is that a 3 roller provides a better crush.

Have had MM3-2.0 for about 2 years now (only mill I have had) LOVE IT.

Mill powered by rigid electric drill. Here is what I do:

1. Condition Grain
2. Dump up to 25lbs in hopper
3. Engage drill - Mills right away, no issues starting or spinning.
4. Marvel at its Awesomeness.
5. Clean and put away.

NOT UNDERPOWERED! That being said, someday I would like a cart with a motor cause it is easy and looks nice.

Hmmmmm.... hopefully I will get some additional thoughts. Sounds like you are having good success with the 3 roller. I think either mill is probably awesome. Just want to do the proper recon before spending the $$$.
My barley crusher slips a lot, won't engage or grab the grain. Will quit grabbing multiple times during a milling. In particular, it has a hell of a time with pilsner malt. US 2 Row it does ok...... Nothing against the Barley Crusher though - I have milled a ton of grain with it.... actually a couple tons. Just time for an upgrade.
I plan to mount the MM on a small table.

I got a MM2 2.0 to replace my dodgy barley crusher last year. The 2 roller MM is a beast! No slipping or problems getting it to start. You run the low speed drill from HF and it grinds grain. Simple as that.

I am in no way dissapointed that I didn't get the 3 roller mill. I often have 30+ pound grain bills and it chews them right up.

Cheers.

BSD

I got a MM2 2.0 to replace my dodgy barley crusher last year. The 2 roller MM is a beast! No slipping or problems getting it to start. You run the low speed drill from HF and it grinds grain. Simple as that.

I am in no way dissapointed that I didn't get the 3 roller mill. I often have 30+ pound grain bills and it chews them right up.

Cheers.

BSD

My MM 2.0 (w/hardened rollers) easily rips through grain with my high torque drill running at the lowest possible speed at 0.039, runs like butter from start to finish. It can crush down to 0.031 and probably smaller, but that requires it to run with a little more speed and it can be a little tough to get going with the drill.

The crush is fantastic overall, I've been playing around with settings the past few brews and found that 0.039 is ideal for my false bottom, anything smaller will clog it up and actually results in reduced efficiency. I'm very happy with the 2.0, it's simple to set the gaps and does a great job.

I use an MM 2 with the smaller rollers for mostly 5 gal batches; run by the HF drill. If I were to buy again, I might consider the 2" rollers, but otherwise, I'm very pleased with the mill. A 3 roller just seemed like overkill to me-of course, sometimes overkill is a good thing! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390798084.682486.jpg

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. Can't wait to get the new mill..... Leaning toward the two-roller as it seems like it will more than accomplish what I need it to.

Love the cart setup Logdrum.

I also have the MM2, but it's not the new version that was recently released. It does a great job, but my only critique was the thumbscrews. I needed to use an adjustable wrench to turn the thumbscrews beyond finger type just to keep the gap from slipping. For an overall well made quality mill, the thumbscrews seemed cheap. It also made me nervous about possibly breaking the screws while tightening with the wrench. I believe that this issue has been addressed in the new version. My advice would be to buy a good quality corded drill - don't go too cheap! I don't think you need the 3-roller option for 5-gallon batches as the 2-roller option works well for me, and 5-gallon batches are all I ever do.

I like the quality of the crush using a three roller mill over a two roller mill. It seems as if I get less flour and a LOT more intact hulls all the while keeping a great efficiency.

I use a cheap drill to power mine and it seems that it is kinder to the drill using my 3 roller mill than I was getting using my corona mill. I could not tell any difference though between a 2 roller and a 3 roller mill with my drill

I also have the MM2, but it's not the new version that was recently released. It does a great job, but my only critique was the thumbscrews. I needed to use an adjustable wrench to turn the thumbscrews beyond finger type just to keep the gap from slipping. For an overall well made quality mill, the thumbscrews seemed cheap. It also made me nervous about possibly breaking the screws while tightening with the wrench. I believe that this issue has been addressed in the new version. My advice would be to buy a good quality corded drill - don't go too cheap! I don't think you need the 3-roller option for 5-gallon batches as the 2-roller option works well for me, and 5-gallon batches are all I ever do.

I picked up some hex bolts that solved that problem. You can grab some online, or I could even send you a pair if you'd like, I have a bunch extra.

(Mine's the 2.0, I imagine the set screws are the same though)

I'm surprised you guys are cranking the 3 roller with a drill motor. My 3/4 hp motor seems to be dying on me, it kept stalling when I ran wheat through it the other week for a dunkel.

I picked up some hex bolts that solved that problem. You can grab some online, or I could even send you a pair if you'd like, I have a bunch extra.

(Mine's the 2.0, I imagine the set screws are the same though)

Hey, I do appreciate the offer, but I think I've finally got it where I want and I'm never adjusting it again!! I did see the hex bolt solution a few months ago and if that gap ever widens again, I'll pick them up at Home Depot and take care of it. Other than that, it's a great mill. I really love having the flexibility to purchase a couple sacks of base malt and then pickup specialty grains whenever I like. I won a sack of pilsner malt at a competition raffle which I've been using for the last few beers.

I power my MM3 with a 1hp motor and a 10:1 gear reducer. Chews through grain in nothing flat. Been very happy with it.

I don't think you can lose with either mill. I milled my first batch with the MM2-2.0 this past weekend and I'm really happy with it. Conditioned the grains, set the gap to 0.036" and went to town with my HF low-speed drill. I think the mouth on my DIY hopper is to blame for a slighly difficult start (easy fix) but once moving I got a fantastic crush, and incredibly free-flowing sparge, and 85% efficiency if brewtarget is to be believed.

I would like to ask for some advice here since someone else already had this topic started.

I'm looking at buying my first mill and am looking for some opinions. I am looking at getting the MM2-2.0, but for $5 less I can get the MM3. If you had to buy your grain mill all over again, would you get the 2 roller mill or 3?

At the moment I only do 5 gallon batches, but I'm preparing to start doing 10g batches in the future.

Thanks for your responses.

-Brewcephus

I bought the 2-roller MM a few months ago. I've crushed probably 300 lbs with it so far. I use a hand drill and built a cabinet out of plywood. I set the gap to 0.030" (credit card thickness) and I consistently get efficiencies in the low 90's. I don't regret not buying the 3-roller version for a second. I can't imagine it could do a better job.

I bought the 2-roller MM a few months ago. I've crushed probably 300 lbs with it so far. I use a hand drill and built a cabinet out of plywood. I set the gap to 0.030" (credit card thickness) and I consistently get efficiencies in the low 90's. I don't regret not buying the 3-roller version for a second. I can't imagine it could do a better job.

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the 2.0 2 roller. Just trying to decide since the 2.0 2 roller is $5 more than the regular 3 roller and all.

EDIT:
Also, question about the rollers. Is it worth the extra money to upgrade to the 303SS rollers?

Consider that the MM2-2.0 comes with a 1/2 inch shaft only, while the MM3 (non-2.0) can be had in either 3/8 or (for an extra $5) 1/2 inch shaft. It only matters if you already have a strong corded drill that happens to have a 3/8 chuck. Or if you suffer from whatever mental illness would make you want to crank it manually. If you don't have any of the above equipment/ailments, may as well go 1/2 inch. And in that case this post absolutely will not help you decide!

And in that case this post absolutely will not help you decide!

You are 100% correct, this didn't help me in the least, LOL! Other than remind me that I still have to buy a drill because although SWMBO swears that I suffer from mental illness( I keep reminding her that I don't suffer, I rather enjoy it), I'm not so bad as to want to hand crank 20lbs of grain.

That being said, I think I will be getting the MM3 because hey, if 2 rollers are good then 3 has to be better, right? :mug:

Back