Grain Mill Drill Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willh7857

Reaction score
I was gifted a malt muncher 3 roller grain mill for Christmas, and I need some help on a drill to run the mill. Anyone currently using this mill what drills have worked best for you? Links appreciated! Thanks!

I picked up one of the Chicago Electric ones like this (bottom of that link in "you may also like") from Harbor Freight to run my Monster MM2 Pro. I won't be able to use it until I can build a table to mount it permanently, and the size of the drill body will make that difficult (mill body will need to be elevated.) Without everything locked down, it has so much torque that it will not turn the mill, but just throw the whole thing over, and me the other way. So I'm having best results with my trusty 1/2 in corded DeWalt, though keeping it slow enough (ideally well under 150 rpm) is tricky. I don't know about your mill, but there is absolutely no way my cordless DeWalt will run the Monster with its 2 in rollers. Just doesn't have the power to move it. (It ran my old JSP just fine.)

I also have one of those old Harbor Freight low-speed drills for my MM2-2. I strive to mill at a low speed to reduce the degree of husk shredding. I also condition the malt prior to milling.

That drill has more than enough power to run that mill, but it still struggles a bit as I try to limit the speed. I'm pretty sure that a high-speed drill wouldn't be capable of operating at the low speed I'm striving for. A low-speed drill should be a better choice for mills.

I appreciate the feedback everyone! I have a good idea of what I need based on your replies. I’ll do some sale shopping to find the right one. Thanks for the help!

I have a MM3 roller milk I’ve been using for about 5 years. I set it up with a gear reduction motor with an RPM output of 180 which I’ve been told is about ideal for milling grain.
I know many do not/cannot take this approach but can drills be run more slowly?

Another user of the Harbor Freight paddle handle drill. It has plenty of torque. I'm using it on a MM2 Pro with the big wheels. It's flawless.

Back