Grain database BeerAlchemy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasabs

Reaction score
I am using Beeralchemy. It works well but the gain database is UK oriented (many Australian and NZ grains). Most of the listed grains are not available here, and most of the grains we do use are missing,unlike Beersmith which has just about all grains used in our recipes. I know that I can add to the list but along with the values it is huge pain.

Does anyone know of a US database that can replace the built in one?

I've been using BA for 2 years and have not heard of a separate database for grain. You can ask them by submitting feedback. They always reply to me in less than 24 hours.

What grains are you missing? Are you wanting the Brand name of the malt listed instead of just US - "grain type"?

Yes, I am looking for better descriptors of the items listed in the ingredients database,including brands,that are closer to identifying specific ingredients, as Beersmith and other sofwares do.. I spend a significant amount of time searching for and checking parameters of ingredients I want to use. Often the characteristics sited by the software of a 2-row malt for instance, will differ significantly from the numbers given by Beer Alchemy, and Breis or other vendors. Also many ingredients that are called for in US ingredient databases either are missing or the names are so obscure to us one must guess and then compare characteristics so calculations produce similar results. Also so many ingredients such as Australian grains which are no where to be obtained in the US take up a significant part of the ingredients list so that selecting an ingredient, even using the search function becomes tedious. Hope this answers your question

Over time, I removed most of the ingredients that I knew I would never use, and refined the descriptions of the ones I frequently use. The beauty of BeerAlchemy is the customization available to you. Yeah it probably is a little more work than other programs, but once complete, it will be tailored to you.

Back