Grain bed compacting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
Ever since I've switch to doing just 1 batch sparge instead of 2 smaller ones, i've been getting stuck sparges. When the wort quits draining, there is still a lot sitting on top of my grains in the mash tun. I then have to stir, and drain again to get it all out. My system is a 10g round cooler with a copper manifold.

When I drain, I have just been opening up the valve to full open and letting it rip. Its never been a problem before, but with the larger, single sparges it getting stuck....

More water is more pressure against the grain which sounds like it's a bit more than your manifold can handle. Have you thought about adding more holes or slits? You could also try ramping up the flow slowly to let the grain bed establish itself.

For what it's worth I get far better efficiency with 2 batch sparges as opposed to one. Any reason you went for a large single batch?

Back