Grain and Mice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Getting a mill soon and will store bulk grain in the garage. Of course, I plan on getting some buckets for storage and plan on keeping things clean. How likely is it that I will be dealing with mice? Anyone have problems? Any recommendations?

Getting a mill soon and will store bulk grain in the garage. Of course, I plan on getting some buckets for storage and plan on keeping things clean. How likely is it that I will be dealing with mice? Anyone have problems? Any recommendations?
Hi. I also store my grain in the garage. I use the Ziploc Weathershield totes for my grain. I basically use two sizes...the 60qt, which will hold over 70# of unmilled grain, and the 44qt, which will hold right at 50-55# of grain. You can get opaque or clear and they're usually <$15/ea. They have a seal in the lid that helps keep the grain fresh, and they're mouse-proof (at least so I've seen.) Hope this helps. Ed
:mug:

ETA: Another piece of advice. Whenever you measure/mill any grain, be absolutely sure to clean up thoroughly afterwards. Any grain, grist, or even powder/flour left lying around is a dinner bell for our little grey rodent buddies (unless you have a pet snake or cat that will appreciate your baiting their hunting grounds.) :)

Grain.jpg

Very nice! I will grab a few of these totes. Is there also an easy way to clean up the grain mill well?
Yep. I use two things...a 4" paint brush (new and clean) and a shop vac. When I'm done milling my grain, I take it out into the driveway (so I don't get dust in the garage,) and brush down the mill, getting between the rollers, and into the nooks & crannies. Then I give it a good once over with the shop vac. I've found the vac by itself doesn't always loosen/remove the flour, that's why the brush. I also store the mill in a large plastic bag, just to keep it from picking up any dust/bugs. I also added a more current shot of my grain. Hope this helps. Ed
:mug:

IMG_1687SM.jpg

IMG_1688SM.jpg

LarMoeCur What size vittles vault do you use to fit a 50 lbs sack of grain.

Don't worry about the mice... Just mash them over 152F and they'll full convert in about 30 minutes... No iodine test needed....

:D

I just had my grain in a cheap-ass plastic tote with no seal or latches... The mice that went after the other stuff in the pantry section of the basement didn't seem interested in chewing through the plastic...

YMMV

Don't worry about the mice... Just mash them over 1502F and they'll full convert in about 30 minutes... No iodine test needed....

:D

I just had my grain in a cheap-ass plastic tote with no seal or latches... The mice that went after the other stuff in the pantry section of the basement didn't seem interested in chewing through the plastic...

YMMV

Fifteen hundred two degrees Fahrenheit is very difficult for most to achieve....

I use 5 gallon buckets with Gamma lids and lock and lock storage containers. They are in the basement. No mice ever. But moving to Florida so who knows....

LarMoeCur What size vittles vault do you use to fit a 50 lbs sack of grain.

50 lbs sacks will fit in the 40 lbs. It a tight squeeze. I wait until brew days to put in the sack in the vault. I open the sack pull my brew day grains and pour the remainder in vault. You can also turn the vault so the lid is pointing up and it will fit more.

Place a couple of traps around your grain, baited with Peanut butter....mice won't pass up the peanut butter in favor of your grain. Works everytime;)

Back