GPS for your car. Who has them??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) Because I have yet to see an unlimited data plan that is truly unlimited.

My data plan is unlimited, I have used my phone as a modem for my laptop and downloaded several hundred megabyte files with no reduction in speed and no additional charges. A bad service provider is no reason to knock the software.

+1 for an Android phone, and with multitasking, you CAN use the phone and navigate, albeit somewhat inconveniently. The benefits just so massively outweigh any downside.

I am in no way criticizing the software. If I am surfing the web, then the driver no longer has navigation at their disposal.

As for data plans, you may periodically exceed and they won't do anything, but go ahead and Google [insertcarrierhere] unlimited data plan. It is not unlimited.

I am in no way criticizing the software. If I am surfing the web, then the driver no longer has navigation at their disposal.

As for data plans, you may periodically exceed and they won't do anything, but go ahead and Google [insertcarrierhere] unlimited data plan. It is not unlimited.
I did this for a year as I had no internet at my house at the time. I connected daily and browsed forums, paid bills, downloaded software. No issues. When I switched to the current iteration of the unlimited data plan I asked specifically if this would still be the case and was assured that the plan was truly unlimited and as of yet I have no reason not to believe them. I have had no caps on speed and no cutoff on my data service.

Oh, and Navigation doesn't close when you open the Browser app... you will still get turn by turn directions and pertinent information in the notification tray.

I did this for a year as I had no internet at my house at the time. I connected daily and browsed forums, paid bills, downloaded software. No issues. When I switched to the current iteration of the unlimited data plan I asked specifically if this would still be the case and was assured that the plan was truly unlimited and as of yet I have no reason not to believe them. I have had no caps on speed and no cutoff on my data service.

Oh, and Navigation doesn't close when you open the Browser app... you will still get turn by turn directions and pertinent information in the notification tray.

Same here. When I got this new phone and plan I was told Unlimited means unlimited, not capped off. Can't seem to find anything on my paperwork to dispute it.

You're missing the point but on the data plan, I'm glad everything works for you.

On the second point, if I have the device in my hand and I am wont to do when I am using it the driver doesn't get to use it.

You're missing the point but on the data plan, I'm glad everything works for you.

On the second point, if I have the device in my hand and I am wont to do when I am using it the driver doesn't get to use it.
I must be missing your point on it, I really don't get what you're trying to say. My unlimited data plan is unlimited, by contract. If they capped my bandwidth or otherwise impeded my data use it would be a violation of the contract and I could end it at will (also, in my contract.)

If you have the device in your hand and it says (audibly) turn left, 300 ft you can't look at the driver and say "hey, you need to turn left up there" if they don't hear it?

I just drove to Micromatic's Florida warehouse a couple weeks ago. Not an easy place to find as it is off the main road and in the back of an industrial complex that is on the back side of an airport with no signs or even street names. My roommate went with me. He used Google Places and Browser to find us a place to get lunch while the navigation ran. We turned off the voice navigation and he was still able to say "hey, it says you need to make this right up here" because the navigation software told him to.

How much experience do you have using Maps + Navigation to actually navigate somewhere? I do this regularly and do not have any of the issues you are talking about.

EDIT:
http://m.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/verizon-signals-the-end-of-the-unlimited-data-plan/

I'll use Verizon as an example. Prior to this they have capped customers in various markets.

As I said, a poor service provider says nothing about the software. Especially since they are not the only ones who provide phones on that platform.

I'm an adult... I know how to share.

I don't need to stare at the GPS while I'm driving anyway so why do I care if it runs in the background (and still gives turn-by-turn directions) if someone needs to use the internet?

All I saw was that they will soon stop offering unlimited plans, and the unlimited plans now are capped at 5GB (which isn't unlimited).

I see your point, but still, it'd be difficult to exceed 5GB on mobile data usage. Especially just using Google Maps/Navigation. Unless you have the Satellite image layer turned on, it doesn't use that much data.

You win the internet dude. But we're not solving your problem.

I have both devices. Droid and Garmin and both have their place.

I'll put my travel and navigation up against anyone.

You are providing an argument for getting a dedicated GPS. I am providing a counter-argument that it isn't worth the initial cost + map upgrades. Especially if you might be getting a new phone anyway (like the OP is.)

My roommate sold his Garmin after getting his droid. His is a paramedic and uses both to find places in areas he isn't familiar with.

Using the mapping API costs the developer per rendered geosquare. There are bulk plans but there is a cost to keep downloading them. Over 8 hours per day on a roady! All of those uncached. That,'lll add up.

I'm not trying to get into a flame war, or measure our e-dicks. I was just trying to understand what you were getting at.

With the price point of stand alone GPS, you might as well enjoy the added functionality of a smartphone. And if someone is willing to pay for all the benefits of a smartphone, the only reason for them to have a GPS device would be if they're facing possible huge roaming charges, or if the guy in the passenger seat is grumpy bastard who doesn't have his own phone :p

:mug:

or if they live in the Mountain West and you're not going to get 1x or 3x connectivity. Go look at a coverage map.

I use my droid heavily,
Lookey. Here is my navigation stand and everything. I use it alot in the city even when I don't need to, because it's fun.

4791572180_b65f7a0c4e_m.jpg

I love it. But, as I stated, I'd want a dedicated GPS for long haul trips. Does your provider give you unlimited European coverage? Mexico (CDMA)? I'm assume you "unlimited is unlimited" guys are Sprint. I've been through the Unlimited wars before. If they can't offer unlimited cable internet access then.... it's just a matter of time.

I've gotten calls while the navigation was barking out directions. That's a pretty distracting business call when you're running late for a meeting.

If I'm flying into town for a beer festival and minimally driving, sure, I'll skip the Garmin. But If I am driving from Phoenix to Denver, then you can't beat a Garmin. It's not like they moved Durango or re-routed i-17 in the last 5 years.

The Garmin is much easier to load in multiple locations too.

Fixed cost for a Gamin is $200 ish, I think the minimum buy in for a GPS enabled phone is about $2250 for 2 years.

Again I have both, so. that wasn't an issue.

I have a Sprint EVO 4G with the google and sprint GPS apps. I think this is good enough for me. I would not spend the cash on the Garmin, Nuvi or Tomtom.

My car setup has the Jabra bluetooth with the hands-free talking and the FM transmitter. The directions can be blurted out over the radio using the car speakers. Its pretty damn cool. I use the phone with Pandora streaming, through the stereo, when I need to turn, it cuts in to say turn and so on, then back to the tunes. I can also take a call with the Jabra or ignore it altogether. If I want to take the call I tap the Jabra on the visor. Its has a big-a$$ button that is makes it easy as hell to answer.

I have a Sprint EVO 4G with the google and sprint GPS apps. I think this is good enough for me. I would not spend the cash on the Garmin, Nuvi or Tomtom.

My car setup has the Jabra bluetooth with the hands-free talking and the FM transmitter. The directions can be blurted out over the radio using the car speakers. Its pretty damn cool. I use the phone with Pandora streaming, through the stereo, when I need to turn, it cuts in to say turn and so on, then back to the tunes. I can also take a call with the Jabra or ignore it altogether. If I want to take the call I tap the Jabra on the visor. Its has a big-a$$ button that is makes it easy as hell to answer.

Whoa, like i said I'm a droid newb, you gotta link to the Jabra doohickey, sounds like the perfect thing for my new car. :ban:

I think the minimum buy in for a GPS enabled phone is about $2250 for 2 years.

My Boost i335 has a GPS - no turn-by-turn, though.

It was only $60 and no contract, though you do have to pay $20 every 90 days to keep it live. Data is unlimited and free, and I can tether to my laptop (but it is about 19kbps...).

Special hops, I have Sprint and pay 69 bucks for unlimited everything. That includes data, and cell to cell minutes (to any carrier). The only minutes I get billed for are to landlines. That's 10 dollars less than my old sprint plan to my old non smartphone, that had limited voce and data. I didn't plan on going smartphone either, but when my old cell died, it turns out that there's really not many "normal cellphones" left out there. Everything's g-3 or g-4. even the loss leader cheapo phone the hand out free to.

And with the smartphone, besides having gps/nav software, you can run brewing apps, AND even surf HBT from the toilet if you are so inclined.

sprint doesn't have the droid do they? Do you mean you have a phone with the android OS on it?

People often confuse the Android operating system with the Motorola Droid model phone.

I have an old HTC G1 (the first Android phone), and people ask me if it's a "droid phone". I think the confusion stems from verizon/motorola marketing the droid phone, "droid does" and people not understanding the difference between the hardware and the software. The similarity of the name also contributes.

It would be like if someone made a popular computer called the window that ran windows. People would ask if you had a windows computer, and they might not be asking what you thought they were.

It was only $60 and no contract, though you do have to pay $20 every 90 days to keep it live. Data is unlimited and free, and I can tether to my laptop (but it is about 19kbps...).

That's kind of apples to some other fruit. I could throw in my Forerunner 305 into the mix. ;)

Seems to me that any phone running googles proprietary android software would be called a droid phone, just like most folks just call their pc's "windows machines." regardless of whether it's a dell, or an hp or whatever companie's machine

Seems like semantics to me.

People often confuse the Android operating system with the Motorola Droid model phone.

I have an old HTC G1 (the first Android phone), and people ask me if it's a "droid phone". I think the confusion stems from verizon/motorola marketing the droid phone, "droid does" and people not understanding the difference between the hardware and the software. The similarity of the name also contributes.

It would be like if someone made a popular computer called the window that ran windows. People would ask if you had a windows computer, and they might not be asking what you thought they were.

Yea. And somehow Spielberg got a chunk of change out of the whole Droid deal. Who knew!

Are minutes included also?

That's kind of apples to some other fruit. I could throw in my Forerunner 305 into the mix. ;)

Is that a real phone or were you just making a funny? I'm seriously interested in a pay-as-you-go plan with the interwebz access. We just don't use enough minutes to justify another contract.

Seems to me that any phone running googles proprietary android software would be called a droid phone, just like most folks just call their pc's "windows machines." regardless of whether it's a dell, or an hp or whatever companie's machine

Seems like semantics to me.

Well, they're all "Android phones". The "Droid" brand name is licensed to Lucasfilm, and Motorola pays to use the name.

Is that a real phone or were you just making a funny? I'm seriously interested in a pay-as-you-go plan with the interwebz access. We just don't use enough minutes to justify another contract.

Joking. Yes, a little bit. I guess some people don't consider it navigation without turn-by-turn.

Joking. Yes, a little bit. I guess some people don't consider it navigation without turn-by-turn.

But it is a real phone, with interwebz access? I don't need turn-by-turn, I can figure which way is north.:)

That's kind of apples to some other fruit.

Yeah, I know, it's the very incarnation of compromise. I have an iPod Touch for the appley things. Speaking of other fruit, word is there are iDEN Blackberries that work on Boost....

No, and text messages are a dime per, but since I use close to zero talk time it ends up being about $15/month. There's also a $50/month unlimited option. This is my only phone.

But it is a real phone, with interwebz access? I don't need turn-by-turn, I can figure which way is north.:)

It (i335) is a real phone with 1.5" 128x128 screen.:p Not a practical in-car nav, I just had to assert that they make, in the most generous sense, GPS-enabled phones for poor people.

One big drawback of smartphone gps: when you drive out of your network, you lose your gps. You don't have that problem with a garmin.

Back