Gotta question about using a Kveik dry Yeast in a mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews-n-Blues

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Fermentors!šŸ˜Ž
I was wondering if anyone has made a Mead using this Kveik yeast:
Mangrove Jack's Craft Series M12
(dry).
I tried this for the first time, in a gallon batch of Pineapple-Mango-JalapeƱo Mead and had an interesting experience?
It was the most aggressive fermentation I've ever had? I only used 1/2 of the packet? I fermented at a constant temp of 70Ā°. It had 2 blow-offs! The lees never solidified, but just settled into a wavy, wispy mass that is taking up around a 3rd of the fermentor?
Has anyone had similar experiences using this Yeast?
I've heard Kveik Yeast is incredible when Brewing Beer, but I thought I'd try something different? Wow!?
Let me know please?
I'm trying to decide if I want to use this Yeast with anything else?
It's been racked once to get it off of the fruit. But has been in secondary for a little over a month?

Attachments

• 20210820_105018.mp4
    28.3 MB
  • 1630682840982837721595.jpg
    1630682840982837721595.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
I have yet to use Kveik yeast but IMO, that mass is not yeast biomass. If the biomass from the yeast was about a quarter of an inch (1 cm) I would not be surprised but much more than that? No way. I would bet that it's the fruit - both pineapple and mango produce a great deal of sediment.

Thanks for your reply.
I've fermented with both fruits before when making Mead and Wine and have never had this amount of lees?
That's what confused me?
I even racked off of the fruit and into a secondary with the leese, because it was still young and not done fernenting yet, but the lees level never changed?
I kept hoping that by letting it sit in secondary at 70Ā°, it would at least condense a little and reduce, but it didn't?
I was going to try to "cold crash" it for a bit, but didn't? I didn't want to leave it on the lees any longer, ao I bottled what I could. I still got 4 smaller bottles out of the batch, so it wasn't a total bust?
This came out really good!
Good lessons learned with this!
Cheers to the Craft!20210903_151647.jpg

Attachments

• 20210903_151610.jpg
    20210903_151610.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Back