Got the LD from an online supplier, old yeast pack sent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
Old as in packaged in August and best by Feb 21 .So my plan is a 1l starter going right now and jumping up to a 1 g tomorrow probably. Think this will be enough for a 1.055 OG lager and wlp940?

Cell counts will likely be low. When I have used older yeast, it takes some time for cells to grow up to a usable amount. If you can I would give the starter an additional 12 hours or so. I have delayed pitching by as much as a day on a fresh batch of beer with no ill effects. Hope that helps!

I was hoping to brew Sunday but not likely now . The one liter has been going since 1800 last night. Saw a few small bubbles but no Krause yet. I'll wait until tomorrow morning to crash before I go to 1 gallon

I was hoping to brew Sunday but not likely now . The one liter has been going since 1800 last night. Saw a few small bubbles but no Krause yet. I'll wait until tomorrow morning to crash before I go to 1 gallon

Don't crash it, you'll taking the yeast from one state to an other without imo no need. Just add the extra gallon, if you have the space.

That's how I did it. The idea is that with 4 hours on a stir plate the yeast has built up it's sterol levels enough that additional oxygen in the wort isn't needed.

With the 1L starter you have already done cell count should be about half the recommended amount about 224B with the vitality starter the yeast should get the sterol boost they need to split and reach the recommended rate quickly.

Sterols reinforce the cell walls of yeast and when they have enough they are able to reproduce rapidly. You aren't likely to notice much lag if at all

It seemed to. Pitched Monday morning it was working. Sitting at 1.020 right owi about 4.5 %. I'd be happy with that if it doesn't drop any lower.

D rest coming this weekend likely then layering. I do notice a lot if Sulphur however. Hope it smooths out

It should. Just let it sit for d rest and it should clear up. I wouldn't package till it does. It will linger otherwise.

Back