Got some Crystal and Oktoberfest... What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alleydude

Reaction score
I have some left over Crystal Malt, about half pound each of 10L and 60L, and a Brewers Best Oktoberfest kit. Do you think I could use any or all the Crystal in the Oktoberfest kit, or would there be a better kit to apply the Crystal malts to?

Well if you want something more traditional, then you might want to skip out on the crystal. If you're looking for somethin more modern, like a Sam Adams Oktoberfest, then go with the caramels!
That's the best part about homebrewing, you can make whatever you want and still call it beer!

Doesn't that kit already use crystal?

I like to soup up a Coopers real ale can with crystal grains, 3lbs DME, saaz hops for all three hop additions and safale 05. Makes a great amber ale I think.

Doesn't that kit already use crystal?

The kit comes with (as it is labled)...

Crushed Caramel 60L 80z. and 20L 4 oz. Malt

If I understand correctly, this one bag contains 8 oz. of 60L and 4 oz. of 20L Caramel Malt.

I guess what I am looking for is a yey or ney on should I use it in my Oktoberfest, or wait an use it in another brew. Kind'a shying away from using it, I just hate seeing these bags of grain lying around not getting used when I have beer to brew... :D

Back