Got pwned by Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamjonsharp

Reaction score
So I brewed up this small 3 gallon batch of barleywine, pitched her on a yeast cake of London Ale III into a 5 gallon carboy on Tuesday evening. Just put the good ol' airlock on. Fermentation started real quick, was bubbling within a few hours.

Wednesday morning, bubbling like crazy, but only about an 1 inch of krausen. Wednesday night, bubbling had slowed a bit, krausen was about the same, so no blow off tube needed....

Thursday morning, go to check on it...crap, krausen has filled up all the headspace in the carboy and clogged the airlock, but the airlock hadn't blown off yet. Better take off the airlock and attach a blowoff hose...

So I take off the airlock, and THE KRAUSEN ERUPTS LIKE A VOLCANO DIRECTLY INTO MY FACE STINGING MY EYES WITH THE FURY OF SEVEN SWIFT CROTCH PUNCHES....GAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

:cross:

Instead of drinking a "*****" beer, your beer made you it's "*****".

Booyakasha, Jonny boy! How much do you think you lost?

Heh, not too much...the krausen on the London Ale III yeast is crazy thick...the yeast clogged in the airlock was the consistancy of peanut butter...prolly lost about a quart. The way I pryed off the airlock allowed for pretty much all of it to catch me square in the face.

I just now pulled the airlock off of my American Barleywine a few minutes ago. Got a HUGE waft of C02 in the face (no chunks). I was just glad I didn't have to get out the ceiling mop, let alone the Cleveland Steamer from my carboy. :eek:

I'd like to see pics of your pain.

Just picture a quart of yeast slurry all over another man's face...

Errr....on second thought, picture a grown man running around his basement screaming like a little girl: "I'm blind!!!! I sure hope my barleywine turns out ok!"

LOL, yeah I had a near miss in the same category. I did a double batch, and pitched nottingham dry yeast into one 6 gal carboy and a starter based reused yeast in the other, I'd heard starter ones kick off and go mad so I put a blowoff on that one... it didn't take off as fast as the nottingham dry yeast and the notty was blowing off until it almost clogged. So I figured I'd release the airlock and figure out next steps... It proceeded to spew out foam for like 30secs to a min non stop while I'm trying to keep it off the floor and yelling for my brother to come down and bring me paper towels, it was so funny and frustrating at the same time... that day my yeast ***** slapped me for sure ;). So then I put an airlock in the one I thought would be an issue, that wasn't and put my blowoff on the crazy notty one... and the liquid starter one started blowing up inside the airlock... so I had to cut my blowoff tube in half, raise the water bucket and put them both in it.... it was a double blowup, and man am I still laughing at that one!

Back