Got my scores back. Help me adjust my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muthafuggle

Reaction score
So I entered my first brewing competition with a slightly modified clone of Pliny the Elder . I was SUPER anal about my brewing technique for this one, I'd say it's as good as I am capable of making right now. -And the score kinda sucked. 34 out of 50.
I need help understanding the comments and figuring out places to improve.
Here are the specific issues the judges mentioned.
-The beer had a "light-brown and odd color"
- a slight onion aroma and taste(!?!)
- The mouth feel "starts full and then turns watered" -"the thin finish detracts from the hops and malt, makes it slightly astringent"

I know the recipe and brewnotes would be a good thing at this point, but my brewday log is at a friend's house right now. I'll post details ASAP, but I was hoping the assembled boffins could at least get me started on where to improve

The brew notes and recipe would be very useful once you have them available.

That being said, mash 2 degrees higher, and rethink your hop choice.

Ok:

A. 34 is actually a pretty good score. I've placed first with a 36.

B. I'd be really curious where the competition was. Comps out west like beers that are dry, and extremely hoppy. Comps in the midwest or the east want a more balanced beer with a much fuller mouthfeel. I personally feel the west coast style is MUCHHH closer to style, but that's just me.

C. What color do you feel your beer has?

D. Onion flavors remind me of Summit hops, did you use any?

E: "starts full and then turns watered" That's a stupid comment. Mouthfeel doesn't get watery in your mouth. It may start full and finish dry, or finish with some astringency which gives a drying feeling, but ya.......

F: Personally, I would take the judges comments with a grain a salt, and possibly consider entering another comp to get more feedback.

Obviously your recipe, and OG and FG would help us out.

I wouldn't freak out too much. Like Scottland said, 34 is a good score and is considered in the "very good" range.

If you truly want to have your beer evaluated to improve your technique/recipe/beer, you will need to enter the same beer into multiple competitions. Three judges opinions (all of varying degrees of certification and experience I'm sure) is not a big enough sample to make a really beneficial critique of your beer.

Enter the beer into a few competitions if you can and then look for a consistent comment/critique from multiple judges.

You also have to take into account people's personal tastes when they judge because what one judge thinks is terrible in an IPA (onion taste) another my interpret in a completely different way and love.

Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't freak out too much. Like Scottland said, 34 is a good score and is considered in the "very good" range.

If you truly want to have your beer evaluated to improve your technique/recipe/beer, you will need to enter the same beer into multiple competitions. Three judges opinions (all of varying degrees of certification and experience I'm sure) is not a big enough sample to make a really beneficial critique of your beer.

Enter the beer into a few competitions if you can and then look for a consistent comment/critique from multiple judges.

You also have to take into account people's personal tastes when they judge because what one judge thinks is terrible in an IPA (onion taste) another my interpret in a completely different way and love.

Just my 2 cents.

Excellent advice! Enter it in a minimum of three comps and then evaluate.

Michael
BJCP National

Back