Got my results back for my first HomeBrew judging!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendersrule

Reaction score
I think I should be very pleased, but curious on what you guys think about how I should be feeling.

There were 28 submissions total.

I submitted 2 partial mash beers. I don't treat my tap water (it tastes fine). Both of these submissions I underestimated my efficiency so I had to use some sucrose to spike it (no more than 8% of fermentable).

Orange Cascade Pale Ale (recipe found here) got a 36.5/50, and it actually got Mini-BOS, which as I understand is basically like making it to "round 2" with the judges, or in simple terms "it placed high."

My Boo-Koo Clone Rev 1 I wasn't thrilled about (it tasted good) when I submitted it (already made about 4-5 corrections in the next batch which is now fermenting) and it got a 33/50. I actually am pleased with this because this is purely an experimental beer that I know I have more work to do on, and it turned out "good".

The Orange Cascade Pale Ale was my fourth batch ever of beer, and my Boo Koo clone was my 5th batch of beer....not counting the ciders I've made.

Since then, I have left partial mashing, adopted B.I.A.B, got a better mill, got a better temp gauge and know exactly my efficiency so there's no surprise when it comes down to measuring O.G. I still would like to continue brewing longer without messing with my tap water, but likely I start getting into the science of that when I feel like it officially becomes a bottleneck.

I think I should feel pretty good. I didn't win nor didn't expect to, but I believe I got some pretty good scores based on my limited experience thus far. Should I be pleased?

I have a wheat tangerine sour that's fermenting right now, and it tastes absolutely perfect! I'm also highly anticipating that my Boo Koo Rev 2 clone will hit the mark. These are my first all-grain beers. I really wish that I could have submitted these upcoming beers instead.

I happened to have made 8 bottles of habanero Boo Koo Rev 1 clones as well, but I didn't trust them enough without trying to put them before judges. I popped one open last night, and it was absolutely PERFECT. I wish I would have submitted my spicy version instead because it was really something special, but I didn't want to submit something that I haven't tried yet. Words of limited wisdom: when submitting an IPA, make sure it's special. If it's just "good" you WONT win or place. And I agree with that. IPAs are redundant.

Last edited:
Kudos to you for submitting beer to a competition, and congrats on your scores!
More important than scores are probably any notes from the judges. That's where you get your real feedback and indications what was good and where to look for making improvements. Some may be individual preference or style related, so keep that in mind.

Re: Water
If you have municipal tap water chances are there's Chlorine or Chloramines added. They should definitely be removed. If on a private well, there may be minerals that could taint your beer or give it a bias. Water is often overlooked as an important ingredient, but it can make or break a beer easily.

Congrats, it seems you are doing very well. I haven't comp'ed any of my beers, but are impressed at what you are doing so quickly after starting.

I for one, say water is important, but like you I haven't put the time, cost or effort into water analysis. I did get a water report from Ward Labs where I used to live and made adjustments in 2 recipes. My beers are almost always good, if I don't mess up or go crazy. The ones I adjusted were not noticeably better than others... YMMV.

It would be encouraging to me that my early beers did well in a competition and that I think me subsequent brews are even better.

Feel proud, my friend!

Congratulations! Those are nice solid scores. For only your 4th & 5th brews, they are terrific scores. As said above, the judges' comments will tell you more than the scores will; I keep my scoresheets near my laptop so I can go over them when I'm feeling down. Keep on, my friend!

Congratulations! It already sound like you are pleased, no need for us to validate, and you should be. It also sounds like you have been bitten by the competition bug.

There is something about getting feedback from anonymous "experts" that is addictive. This is so much better than feedback from friends and family that you may not trust to tell the truth (saying its great or good when they really don't like it) or are very particular about their specific beer tastes and would snub an award winning beer.

I am going through something similar right now myself. Been brewing for over a decade and entered my first competition on a beer style (i thought) was the best i have ever made, that was validated with a 1st place ribbon by certified beer judges, no better feeling. I agree the feedback will help you take your brewing to a whole new level. All the best.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I especially agree about having an outside judge to you rate your beer to get the best and honest feedback. Friends and family always seem to love your stuff, because it's "your stuff".

The notes were really helpful, I agree. I ordered a water test kit as well!

I ordered a water test kit as well!
Oh, you can just send your water sample in your own small bottle to Ward Labs and order the brewers test W-5A. That's all they're gonna send you in the 'kit.'

If you know you don't have Phosphorus and Iron in your water, you can get away with the cheaper Household Mineral Test W-6.

Back