Got my NHC results back yesterday!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I entered two beers and really didn't expect anything - just hoped to get some decent feedback. To my surprise, my Belgian Ale scored a 34 - not a medal winner, but I'm quite pleased. My APA was a little lower at 27 but the feedback was pretty good. I was actually surprised at the amount of information the judges filled in on the scoring sheets.

I thought my beer had been getting better especially the last 3 or 4 batches but this made me feel pretty good. (so good I ordered grain for two more batches!) Anybody else get their results back?

They made it easy for me to pick where to enter - the drop off at Alesmith Brewing is about 10 miles from my house :cross:

congrats on the scores, you should be proud.
The folks in my local club were able to get 3 firsts,2 seconds,and 2 thirds.these guys are some seriously good brewers.

They made it easy for me to pick where to enter - the drop off at Alesmith Brewing is about 10 miles from my house :cross:

Yeah, I had sent there the last two years. I got sick of telling the UPS hub: "why would I be shipping beer to a brewery?" :D

I got mine a a couple weeks ago from seattle. Got a 40 for my roggenbier, 38.5 for American Rye, 37.5 for N. Brown, 31.5 for American Pils, 28.5 for APA, 25.5 for Best Bitter, and 24 for 60/-. The "place awarded" box is blank on all of them, but I've got my fingers crossed that the first two might be advancing. Not holding my breath, but hoping extra hard.

I got mine a a couple weeks ago from seattle. Got a 40 for my roggenbier, 38.5 for American Rye, 37.5 for N. Brown, 31.5 for American Pils, 28.5 for APA, 25.5 for Best Bitter, and 24 for 60/-. The "place awarded" box is blank on all of them, but I've got my fingers crossed that the first two might be advancing. Not holding my breath, but hoping extra hard.

Those are some great scores, i hope you advance. I would like to see some reciepes if you want to share on your pull down tab. I entered 3, no results yet. I do like the feedback they give you in this contest, even though the entry is high.

Good to hear the feedback is great. I just didn't have the money to enter. Next year hopefully I can enter a bunch.

I got my scores within a few days of the judging in Seattle. All the organizers and judges did awesome work making it happen so smoothly.

Belgian Dark Strong: 39
Cream Ale: 30 (Says 1st awarded)
Fruit Beer: 28.5
IIPA: 44
Helles: 30.5

I'm going to try to re-brew the cream ale in case it advanced, but I didn't think that keg was worthy of advancing (the first keg was awesome but the second was fermented at room temp and estery)

Nice scores you guys - I want a taste of the IIPA Bokonon!

The results sheet I got said the placing would be posted on a website later n the month. With my scores, I doubt there will be a spot with my name on it but this was still a lot of fun. I'm envious of the folks who have so many beers to submit. If I can brew a batch every other month I feel lucky (and they don't last long enough to accumulate :drunk: )

Best of luck to everyone who entered!

Got the results from the Denver Region via e-mail...

My brown ale, raspberry melomel, and pyment all did well; the APA and IPA, not so much. But, I've isolated the problem with those two beers (incredibly stupid mistakes on bottling day :()

My beers are unfortunately in the delayed judging in Dallas. I only entered two beers and am anxious for the scores. Trigger, would love to get the Roggenbier recipe since I have been thinking about brewing one of those.

Nice score in the IIPA, Bokonon

Nice scores you guys - I want a taste of the IIPA Bokonon!

The results sheet I got said the placing would be posted on a website later n the month. With my scores, I doubt there will be a spot with my name on it but this was still a lot of fun. I'm envious of the folks who have so many beers to submit. If I can brew a batch every other month I feel lucky (and they don't last long enough to accumulate :drunk: )

Best of luck to everyone who entered!

Sadly I must say the IIPA that I made last year was better. Slightly different hops and tasted a bit dryer. Last years version was outside of competition season so it didn't get entered in any competition, but I took it to Beerstock (event north of seattle) and we killed a mostly full keg

Yep, got my scores from Denver via e-mail too. Hazelnut Brown got a 22, Ginger Saison got a 31, and Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout got a 34. I'm happy w/ the two in the 30s, and I expected the other to score the lowest, so I can't say I'm necessarily disappointed or anything. Not expecting to get through to the next round, but still, this was a fun experience.

I recieved my scores a while back now from NW region.

I got a 29.5 for my CDA and 33.5 for an ordinary bitter. They weren't the best beers I made this year but I thought that I would enter just for the hell of it. We seem to drink all the better beers before we can get them in a bottle don't we?

I was surprised the CDA didn't do better ... I thought that it was the better beer. Didn't really recieve very helpfull insights on what would make it better other than one comment on the muted chocolate flavor. more chocolat ?
I did receive a common comment on head retention so I guess that I can work on that moving forward.
Overall I was happy though as it was my first Comp and appreciate that the judges give their time to judge all our beers.

Bierenoix

Latest posts

Back