Got My First Kit!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg2536

Reaction score
OK, got my brewing bits and pieces and extract from midwest :rockin: Just trying to make sure I have everything before I begin. So what type of beer bottles do I use. I plan to go to a locale recycling place and get them. I intend to get amber bottles but will the type with twist top work or not. If not which brand don't have them?

Twist off bottles won't work. You need bottles that originally required a bottle opener to open. Usually most microbrews and imports have this type of bottle. I think most of my bottles are Smithwicks, Bass, and Sam Adams. Don't get Bass bottles though, they can be a pain when it comes to capping.

Welcome to HBT, I'm sure your first batch will turn out great! :D

Thanks for the info. I would have been using the wrong ones for sure! I'll be brewing a Big River Brown Ale first time up so I really hope all goes well.
Greg

Also sapparo, amstel light and red stripe are good. Some people said they had problem capping red stripe but mine are ok. Grolsch bottles are great no capping but they are usually green.

here in Canada its tuff to find pry off cap bottles unless your like me and live in a rural area with a lot of old guy that used to drink lots and have large supplies of stubby bottles.

greg2536 said:
I plan to go to a locale recycling place and get them. I intend to get amber bottles but will the type with twist top work or not. If not which brand don't have them?

Just me...but for $20 I would get 22 oz for a 5g batch instead of using someone elses used spitoon. You can get them at any LHBS.

Then buy any 22 micro brew when you are out, or Japanese beers when at sushi and save them. At parties or get togethers, have your buddies save you the pry-off browns. Soon you have enough for a few batches.

No twist off's. They have worked for me in the past, but 50/50 the neck shatters :eek:

Good Luck!!!

1 more piece of advice I wish I had for my first brew:

Figure out the whole thing on paper before you do it. Then ask this board for assistance if you are not sure. Then when you do your thing, it is all spelled out. And it is a tradition that you MUST drink while brewing, so get som eof those 22 oz micro brew's we were talking about before.

Brown bottles are always the best, but if you absolutely hide them from the light until drinking time clear ones will work. Green bottles also let too much light in so its important to hide them from light. Still they need to be pop tops. I only tell you this because if you have friends that drink say Newcastle or Corona it won't hurt to have them save their bottles for you.

shunoshi said:
Twist off bottles won't work. You need bottles that originally required a bottle opener to open. Usually most microbrews and imports have this type of bottle. I think most of my bottles are Smithwicks, Bass, and Sam Adams. Don't get Bass bottles though, they can be a pain when it comes to capping.

Welcome to HBT, I'm sure your first batch will turn out great! :D

I cap Bass bottles all the time and I've never had a problem.

Thanks for all the good info. Oh, in the Oh NOOO box --- just got home and my dog, a yellow lab, got into the kit and ate the bag of grains. So had to call Midwest and reorder them (only the grains not the whole kit). Bummer.

Sorry to hear about the dog and what is going to come out later.
If you plan to use bottles from the recycling facility, make sure and this is the first law of homebrew, the bottles are clean and sanitized before you bottle. Cleaning may be obvious, but the sanitizing is extremely important. You don't want some funk from someone else leaking into your brew. Good Luck and welcome, hope that grain gets there quick.

never tried it myself, but i'm told twist offs work, as long as you use a bench capper and not a cheap wing-capper.

Back