Got evicted because of brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got the keys Sunday and started to move stuff. Not fun in the snow.

As another guy who didn't finally get off his butt and get serious about buying until his landlord started in with the shady shenanigans, I have two things to say to you:

1. Congrats!
  2. Buy caulk.

You may never get so magnanimous that you actually want to thank the mail-snooping coke-addicted underaged-hooker-frequenting creep (*ahem* sorry, overshare?), but I can tell you that, four years in, and even with my kitchen sink half-dissassembled as I type, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

Well I got the keys Sunday and started to move stuff. Not fun in the snow.

That's next to a miracle..... congrats for sure.

I'm glad that you got out before the end of the month. I hope that you gave the landlord a written 30-day notice or you have something in writing from him that you are to be out by the end of January. If not, he may cause to go after you for February rent and/or keep your Security Deposit.

I know that you are under a lot of pressure, moving, weather etc but don't forget to take video of the condition that you left the old place in. Be sure to include everything, no matter what the condition. You may be very sorry if you don't. If you do it and never use it, you are out, 30 minutes of your time. If you don't do it and there are problems, you may be very sorry...... you can't go back in time.

Many of the properties that I managed had that in the Lease and yes it does include bottles of propane (Flammable??? DUH!!!!). A lot of property owners do not want propane burners on their property because their are a lot of stupid people in this world.
Honestly using "flammable" in the lease is very vague. As someone else noted a stack of papers is technically flammable. What about paint cans and paint thinner? They also require that I mow the lawn at the property, so I would need a lawnmower and a gas can for it, that would be flammable as well. I understand that it is most likely just standard language intended so that the owner could ask you to remove something they are not comfortable with.

In any case, my leasing agent responded with "no problem with propane burners or grills, it's not an apartment"

Honestly using "flammable" in the lease is very vague. As someone else noted a stack of papers is technically flammable. What about paint cans and paint thinner? They also require that I mow the lawn at the property, so I would need a lawnmower and a gas can for it, that would be flammable as well. I understand that it is most likely just standard language intended so that the owner could ask you to remove something they are not comfortable with.

In any case, my leasing agent responded with "no problem with propane burners or grills, it's not an apartment"

Actually, everything is flammable. It really is just an exothermic oxidation reaction.

I don't know what the OP does, but they're not looking for money laundering so much as they're looking for your income to be sourced alongside any down payment. If they cannot source and season your downpayment then often that screws things up. That's why people will then randomly get a family member to write a gift letter saying the money came from them. For terrorist activity, they'd just plug his info into OFAC and be done with it.

All lenders likely would take the appraisal from sale into account. Unfortunately.

Fantastic news! Let the brewery remodel begin!

Yeah, my parents gave us a check to go toward our down payment. They wrote a gift letter and the bank was cool with that.

They "uncovered" my group purchase of coffee for people at work, which I then distribute when it gets delivered (not for profit, just for fun) and I had to explain how I got a couple extra hundred dollars deposited :D That was a fun letter to write, seriously, I got a chuckle out of it.

The person who tried to buy our house before us had his financing fall apart because he was being paid under the table for work. Too bad for him.

Yeah, my parents gave us a check to go toward our down payment. They wrote a gift letter and the bank was cool with that.

They "uncovered" my group purchase of coffee for people at work, which I then distribute when it gets delivered (not for profit, just for fun) and I had to explain how I got a couple extra hundred dollars deposited :D That was a fun letter to write, seriously, I got a chuckle out of it.

The person who tried to buy our house before us had his financing fall apart because he was being paid under the table for work. Too bad for him.
Yeah, it's a bit intrusive but that is the lending climate today and has been for a few years since the whole mortgage meltdown.

23.gif
So I have to be out of my place by the 30th of January. Just put a bid on a house today. Will post pic's as soon as it goes through.
36.gif

No I got evicted because of brewing. This is all real.

I know you did. I'm really glad to hear everything is working out for you. I have chimed in on this thread before. But what's up with sxghxs suddenly posting that they have to be out of THEIR place by the 30th?

So I have to be out of my place by the 30th of January. Just put a bid on a house today. Will post pic's as soon as it goes through.

Based on the fact that the landlord is being a total dick, I would make it as miserable as possible for him. I suggest you watch the movie "Pacific Heights" if you haven't already. You can get some good pointers.

Based on the actions of the Wisconsin Governor this last year, I am assuming the laws in San Francisco and Wisconsin are a little different. When I was in Utah the crap the landlords could get away with was mindboggling.

Without needing a lawyer you could go to small claims court. Not knowing the laws in WI but I would assume if you were evicted illegally the landlord could be held responsible with at least your cost of moving. If so hire a professional mover.

I have not read the whole thread yet but if you do set up a brewery in that basement. You could call it "Growler Brewing".

It is even better when you are a business owner and they want to look at those records too. I had so many work expenses that were reimbursed I started a log I could give them at the final signing. :cross:

OP glad to hear you made it to owning a house. +1 on stocking up on supplies for repairs to make your life that much easier.

The new house is great I can come home and relax and do as i want to. planning the brewery build but I am trying to find the best place to build it.

Well they thought that a propane burner used outside was a fire hazard. Then I built an all electric system and they never cane by to check to see what I was doing and still assumed I was using propane. They also came in my place when I wasn't home for what ever reason. So I guess they didn't like me.

As far as getting going I am going to be setting up the old system for now in the next few weeks. I got to run a 50 amp circuit first.

Details? How does home brewing get you evicted?
Hate to be "That Guy", but you just commented on a 14-page thread documenting how and why, complete with commentary from other renters/landlords across the country. The details are in these pages, man.

Hate to be "That Guy", but you just commented on a 14-page thread documenting how and why, complete with commentary from other renters/landlords across the country. The details are in these pages, man.

Spam bot. See post #3.

Back