Got evicted because of brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doubtful the you'll close in thirty days. I'd sue them for unlawful eviction and have them paying my closing costs! If they entered your apartment without notice with no imminent threat to the property then that is a second law suit. The burden of proof is on the landlord. Furthermore, why is it the maintenance man's business if you have a cabinet in your kitchen? Did he look inside it? Third law suit. The law is written in your favor. If gas grills are allowed then a propane burner can be assumed allowed as well unless there is a specific mention otherwise. It is a UL tested device that you were using properly according to the manufacturer's instructions. If 'Turkey fryers' are not allowed that doesn't count here. You were not using deep fry oil, you were boiling, hence it is not a fryer and will not be considered such in a court of law. My grill came with a propane burner installed on it. I bet they would allow that...Friggin a holes man!

I wonder if the AHA would be interested I this?

I don't know if they would be interested of not but the last year hear I could wright a book on the harassment/them being in my business. But now I am off to bigger and better things I hope. Anyone local want to help me move :D

That is tough luck, but before I tried any legal options, I'd politely ask for a few more days/weeks to wrap up your home purchase, move, etc.

Least we forget, every legal action has an associated expense for you and them, win, lose or draw.

Yeah that's harsh. But your Congressman that represents you is a bit harsh too. He cares little for the common man and is bought and paid for by the wealthy. So I expect your plight gets little pity in that neck of the woods. Hope everything goes super for you in your house.

The original box to the title is in the basement I will look when I get back there for the inspection for the VA loan

You may have already considered this but I just thought I would mention it. Since you are trying to close in 30 days, you might want to go with a local lender. I went through this process a few months ago with USAA and I couldn't have done it that fast with all the back and forth paperwork.

Sorry to hear about the landlord. Sounds like a real prick. But, it looks like it will work out once you're all settled in the new place. :mug:

Sounds like they were looking for an excuse to remove you. Sucks. I hope things go smoothly with the process of buying the house (if your offer was accepted). I wholeheartedly agree with sikkingj above in letting them know you will indeed be moving into your own place and politely asking for a few more weeks to vacate until you can close on the new place. If they know you are leaving perhaps it won't be an issue.

I wouldn't recommend suing for this and that, it's generally a waste of your time and a waste of the courts time.

As far as asking to stay, the point is, if there is no infraction, there can be no eviction. So you do not HAVE to leave. If on the notice they are stating it is due to a turkey fryer, without proof on their end, Barney Fife could argue this in court and win.

Admittedly I am not familiar with landlord/tenant laws in WI, I am very familiar with them in OH, owning several rental properties. Most likely you were served with a 30 day notice to vacate premises, and not an eviction. An eviction usually involves courts and or sheriffs.

The bathroom is the only place i can get some quite. I have narrowed the equation down more to the toilet I guess so if the toilet is in the middle of the room then i consider that room the entire bathroom...still the quite place. if i could get my brewery in there i would have quite all the time...good luck and you can definitely make it what you want it to be...

The bathroom is the only place i can get some quite. I have narrowed the equation down more to the toilet I guess so if the toilet is in the middle of the room then i consider that room the entire bathroom...still the quite place. if i could get my brewery in there i would have quite all the time...good luck and you can definitely make it what you want it to be...

I guess you can tell everyone you brewed the beer they're drinking in the bathroom then...

Damn, just read through the basics of Wisconsin rental laws, there is some messed up stuff in there. Anyway, it looks like if the property owner gave a proper 5 day non-rent violation notice, meaning they gave you, in writing, a notice giving you steps to correct the "problem" and you failed to do so, they can then give a 14 day "no cure" notice in which you must leave within 14 days. Based on what the OP said, I'm assuming they gave the 5 day notice and then the 14 day notice.

What would the non rent violation be? Owning a turkey fryer? Plus the OP said he no longer uses propane, so he "complies". So as far as a cure or quit notice is concerned, he fulfilled the obligations of the "cure".

The only thing you know for sure about taking any legal action is that attorneys will make money.

I own a few rental properties, if you really want to pay them back send a bad tenant their way. ;-)

I really appreciate your thoughts on the situation I have been really stressed out by all of this. and no the toilet is in the corner of that room. So no poo and brew. I have been given the brewery name from a friend. Broken Liver Brewery, because his liver hurt the next day because he couldn't stop drinking it. lol

If the house is vacant, you might be able to rent the house until closing if not closing by the 30th. VA loans can take awhile but then this is the slow season in lending.

Don't forget there's no PMI on VA Loans, you can do 100% of the LTV (no down payment), and they limit the points you have to pay, and because it's backed by a federal guarantee you get a lower interest. My VA loan (3.375) took about 40 days from offer to close, it all depends on who your lender is and how motivated they and the seller are.

my VA loan turned out great. it's the loan officers that make the difference. got the run around by USAA for one and a half months before at the last min they said we couldn't get it. the next guy took 10 days to get the loan approved at a better rate! (end rant)

What would the non rent violation be? Owning a turkey fryer? Plus the OP said he no longer uses propane, so he "complies". So as far as a cure or quit notice is concerned, he fulfilled the obligations of the "cure".

Without seeing the rental application, I'm not sure. Personally, I'm not a property lawyer and I sure as hell stay far away from Wisconsin, I'm just noticing that Wisconsin's laws regarding eviction are harsh.

Based on the fact that the landlord is being a total dick, I would make it as miserable as possible for him. I suggest you watch the movie "Pacific Heights" if you haven't already. You can get some good pointers.

If you're otherwise innocent in the situation and want to stay, call the local news station. Home brewing is a hobby the news and viewing public would support (assuming you're not in the bible belt).

You could even call the local ACLU.

If you have a dog or know someone who does, some poo on the door knobs, mailboxes, handrails, etc that the landlord would come in contact with would be a nice last hoorah.... Just sayin.

Lol well the floor in the basement are asphalt. Juts sent in the bid today to counter there offer. Can't wait. I am nervous but I will get through this process.

I used my VA loan a couple of times and it is a sweet deal for those of us who have served. The VA does a lot of good for our veteran's other then guaranteed loans.

Thanks for your service, hope everything works out for you. Castermmt

I've got to say, I'm a little disappointed about all the responses saying he should trash the current place. We really don't have both sides of the story, and even if we did, that is hardly an appropriate course of action!

Let alone being charged with vandalism/malicious mischief, or at the very least being sued civilly.

What I think is great, is that the OP seems to have come to terms with the eviction and views it as a chance to make something better for himself. It's the rest of the crowd that wants to burn the place down. Homebrewers sure are a supportive bunch!!

OP I'm sorry for the BS, new place looks great.

I once had the police called on me while I was brewing. Someone drove past my house and thought I was making crystal meth... in my driveway?!!! The cops were cool though, and I offered them (and they accepted!) a taste of the wort and I gave each a hop cone to take with them. Never had an issue again.

Our club has had the police roll by slow when we're doing a club brew day, but they've never stopped.

Damned cast-iron drain pipe with lead-sealed joints.

I'd remove the rubber adapter and inspect the inside of that pipe. If it's rusted and mostly clogged, then it will need to be replaced soon. Cast-iron pipes only have a lifespan of 50 years, after that you're living on borrowed time and that is a major freaking job to remove that old stuff.

I'd remove the rubber adapter and inspect the inside of that pipe. If it's rusted and mostly clogged, then it will need to be replaced soon. Cast-iron pipes only have a lifespan of 50 years, after that you're living on borrowed time and that is a major freaking job to remove that old stuff.
Um, most cast iron in the US until the last 20 years was 1/2" or greater wall for 3" and larger pipe. It used lead and oakum for their joints.

Having owned three houses in excess 80 years old, the only issues i have had with cast iron are when the have galvanized pipe tee'd off it. the rotting of hte galvy to cast join fail and takes both out.

Um, most cast iron in the US until the last 20 years was 1/2" or greater wall for 3" and larger pipe. It used lead and oakum for their joints.

Having owned three houses in excess 80 years old, the only issues i have had with cast iron are when the have galvanized pipe tee'd off it. the rotting of hte galvy to cast join fail and takes both out.

The inspection will take 10 minutes since all that is needed is to loosen a hose clamp.

I'll bet that there's junk and rust at least half an inch thick on the inside walls.

Yep, lead-oakum joints, half-inch walls. Same **** everywhere. They wait to crack until it's 11pm during a snowstorm and you've got a houseful of overnight guests.

The inspection will take 10 minutes since all that is needed is to loosen a hose clamp.

I'll bet that there's junk and rust at least half an inch thick on the inside walls.

Yep, lead-oakum joints, half-inch walls. Same **** everywhere. They wait to crack until it's 11pm during a snowstorm and you've got a houseful of overnight guests.
I just saw a lot of hubless and gasket-and-hub cast iron in Germany and Austria when I lived there. Both tended to be thinner wall.

Just removed a HUGE chunk (over 600#'s) of cast iron vent and main stack in my current house when remodeling. and relocating wall. Oddly, it was the 3" vent that had the scale. the 4" main stack was coated with a thick layer of soap scum and filthy that seemed to have protected it.

Just removed a HUGE chunk (over 600#'s) of cast iron vent and main stack in my current house when remodeling. and relocating wall.

In my basement, there is a dressing room that leads to the sauna. The dressing room is 1 meter wide. At the far end, the main goes from concrete wall to concrete wall just underneath the ceiling. The 1 meter long crack is along the top-ish side of the pipe, all the way from one wall to the other.

This is a 65 year old house.

The crack looks very much like this:

Crack-on-Cast-Iron-stack.png

That is bummer about your landlord. I know a couple who rents out a couple houses in Janesville and they have told me how ****ty a lot of the other owners are (they are nice people themselves).

I moved into elkhorn recently and when my landlord saw my kegerator he just gave me a funny look but didn't inquire too much luckily. This thread has motivated me to take a second look at my lease and I don't see anything that would indicate I can't homebrew (and there are a LOT of rules on my lease).

goodluck with getting your new house.

In my basement, there is a dressing room that leads to the sauna. The dressing room is 1 meter wide. At the far end, the main goes from concrete wall to concrete wall just underneath the ceiling. The 1 meter long crack is along the top-ish side of the pipe, all the way from one wall to the other.

This is a 65 year old house.

The crack looks very much like this:

Crack-on-Cast-Iron-stack.png

Too bad about the cracked pipe, but at least you have a sauna! :rockin:

Lol! That's not a big issue. What about the galvanized supply lines?!!! That's the big, expensive one. Unfortunately, that's everywhere when it comes to older areas.

Most drainage can be rodded out to extend the utility of the pipeline. Galvanized, on the other hand, is unforgiving.

Let's stop giving this guy nightmares now...

Back