Got an OG that is completly unrealistic....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutchemist42

Reaction score
So I pulled a sample after I put everything in the primary fermenter. I put in the wort at around 35 degree C which was about 2.3ish gallons. I then topped up with cold water from the tap. Shook it up, pulled a sample, and tossed in the yeast starter.

Now I was expecting an OG of 1.051 based off Beersmith, but my hydrometer measured 1.08. Was the wort and water simply not mixed enough?

Chances are you pulled more of the concentrated wort in your sample. This is one of the pitfalls of doing a partial boil. No matter how much you try to mix it, it's a crap shoot if you're going to get an accurate OG reading. IF you topped off to the proper level, then your OG will be as the recipe says. Especially if you're brewing extract.

Most likely you got a sample that was more concentrated. When topping off with water it's really hard to get an acurate reading without stirring until it feels like your arm is going to drop off!

When I first started I got a reading that was much lower than it should have been and instead of being smart I dumped a bunch more extract in. Ended up with a really boozy rocket fuel kind of beer.

So I wouldn't worry, your actualy gravity is probably pretty spot on.

Chances are you pulled more of the concentrated wort in your sample. This is one of the pitfalls of doing a partial boil. No matter how much you try to mix it, it's a crap shoot if you're going to get an accurate OG reading. IF you topped off to the proper level, then your OG will be as the recipe says. Especially if you're brewing extract.

It's a partial mash, which means now I'm little upset at not knowing my brewhouse effiency for this batch.

With that small of a boil?? Wow... Seemed more like what I would expect from an extract (even with some specialty grains added), not a PM...

Post up your recipe...

1.65 kg Munich Malt-Type 2
1.2 kg Pale Liquid Extract (Boil for 20)
.45kg Light Dry Extract (Boil for 20)
.30kg Wheat Malt
.20kg Caramunich

Mash time and temp? Volumes for mash and sparge??

All of my times are based on Beersmith.

Mash temp for single injusion, medium body, batch sparge

-Heat water to 73 degree C for mash strike temp of 66.7 degree C for 60 minutes.

-Mash in 6,100 ml
-Drain mash tun
-2 batch sparges of 3.2L

unfortunately it is what it is at this point, no additional info is going to help. i'd just run with what BS gave you, a 10% difference in efficiency is only going to make +/- 3 pt difference. in the future i'd recommend measuring the OG before topping off and calculating from there (OG1 * Vol1 = OG2 * Vol2)

Thanks for the help. I've done 6 partial mashes now and have averaged it out. Following the same process, I have an idea of what it will be.

Latest posts

Back