Got a short fridge, need a short blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronco1500

Reaction score
So Im a newbie. 3 cooks so far. As a newbie Im making adjustments.
I have a small "beer fridge" that came with the bbq island I bought. Never used it. The inside dimensions are 14 x 15 x 21. So a carboy will fit....not with a airlock tho. The carboy is roughly 19in. So I have 1.75"ish to the top.

I would like to use this fridge for about a week after pitching the yeast, and also as a cold break before racking into bottles.

So, here is my issue- Im inpatient. My 2 carboys are full with deliciousness. Id like to make a blowoff tube that is under 2 inches tall. I was thinking that it could take a 90 degree turn out of the top then a gentle turn to the other container. I already have the bbq/cook/bottle day set with friends and loved ones coming over to share in the festivities. Id like to have the "new" blow off tube ready to go so there is little down time. We are going to bottle, clean/sanitize, and re-fill the carboy the same day.

Any thoughts ? Im sure this has come up to others, but I cant find the answer...

Any help would be greatly appreciated by me, not my liver

Cheers

I tried to embed a video of my airlock overflowing here. I guess my internet kung-fu is lacking.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MExbUAsyA7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a PVC set up I am using. It uses a street 90 with a piece of 1-1/4" tubing to make the connection air tight.

IMAG0480.jpg

Wrap saran wrap over the top of your carboy and secure it with a rubber band. Use a sharp knife and poke a small slot in it. This will be your airlock and will be less than .02" tall. Set the carboy in a shallow pan to catch any overflow.

also a bung and a tube that fits the hole where a air lock would go, then a small glass of water on the side with the tube from the carboy submerged in the water. cheap simple and works.

Rubber bung into carboy lid and then 3/8 thin wall tubing into the hole of the stopper

So I took the carboy to home depot. After 30 min I ended up using the rubber stopper for a table leg/cane. I drilled the rubber plug and placed 3/4" pvc tube then vinyl tube into an empty gatorade bottle. As it ended up everything fit perfect. Not a milimeter to spare, but it is air tight and working. I think I will switch to using a bucket as my primary. Just a bit shorter and easier to clean.

fullsize.jpg

blowoffhose.jpg

photo2.jpg

Back