Gose-How Much Salt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duboman

Reaction score
So I put together my first Gose recipe and can't figure out how much salt. In my readings I have found amounts varying from as little as 1/2 tsp for a 5 gallon batch up to 12 grams per gallon.

Mosher has a recipe in Radical brewing that calls for the least amount and Stan recommends the 12 grams per gallon in the recipe for Gose in "Brewing with Wheat" and states that most recipes tend to use not enough salt.

Anyone have an idea for per gallon as I brew 6.25 gallon batches. I want the salt presence but don't want to drink the Dead Sea!

I was baking recently and weighed my dry ingredients so that I could note the weights in the recipe. It turns out that half a teaspoon is 5 grams, so 12 grams is just over a teaspoon.

Why not mix 12 grams of salt with a gallon of water and taste it.

I suspect that at that level you will barely be able to taste it.

Yeah, that's on my list of things to do , just looking to see if someone had an idea

So to follow up: Stan Hieronymus wrote me back ad clarified that about 100 grams per bbl is a pretty good amount for a Gose. This equates to about 3grams per gallon of sea salt.

FWIW I use 1oz of seasalt at the last 10 min in the boil and get excellent results in my goes which usually clocks in around 4-5%ABV.

I know this is an old thread, but I'll add my experience. I brewed a lemongrass Gose last year that was around 4.5% and I added 1oz at 5 mins and this beer won 3 straight 1st places in competitions.
I brewed the beer again last month and had some issues with my efficiency and the beer only came in at 3.5%. I used the 1oz again and I think it is too much. I may end up brewing it again and dropping the salt to 1/2 oz.

I find that a salt amount that just barely gives the perception of saltiness is about right. Saltiness is perceived by most tasters when the sodium content reaches about 250 ppm. That's about 2.5 grams of table salt per gallon of water.

I find that a salt amount that just barely gives the perception of saltiness is about right. Saltiness is perceived by most tasters when the sodium content reaches about 250 ppm. That's about 2.5 grams of table salt per gallon of water.

Thanks for that info. That's 13.75 grams for a 5.5 gallon batch which is 0.49 oz. So that supports my thoughts of reducing my sea salt addition down to 1/2 oz.

I just used a full oz of Himalayan pink salt in a gose, pH ended up at 3.08 and the salt perception was not overwhelming. I think walking the amount back to 1/2 oz is probably a good idea if you are trying to keep it in the slightly tart refreshing gose pH not let the lacto hammer it down as far as it could like I did.

Back