Gooseberry / Sauv Blanc mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hahayepyep

Reaction score
I've had a can of Alexander's Sun Country Sauvignon Blanc concentrate sitting around for a while. It never got used for the project I bought it for and has been shelved since. While picking gooseberries last week it occured to me that the sauv blanc concentrate might be a welcome addition to the gooseberry wine I had planned. Below is the recipe I've fashioned.

At this point, the berries have been cleaned, frozen, thawed, crushed in a nylon bag, sugared and sulphited, and awaiting the next steps. I'd love to hear any input/corrections/suggestions.

For 2 US gallons:
Target OG: ~1.087
Hoping for an ABV about 12%
  • 6 lbs Gooseberries (variety unknown, larger berries, pale purple skin, green center)
  • 1 Alexander's Sun Country Sauvignon Blanc Concentrate (46 oz can)
  • 0.75 lbs white granulated sugar (or more as needed for target OG)
  • No acid additions given the acidity of the gooseberries.
  • 1 g FT Blanc Soft tannins
  • 2 g Booster Blanc
  • 5 g QA23 wine yeast, rehydrated with Go-Ferm
  • 2 g Fermaid K (1 gram at fermentation start, 1 gram at 1/3 sugar break)
Beyond that, I will use my usual fruit wine process:
Freeze, thaw, and mash in nylon paint strainer bag. Dissolve sugar and campden in water enough to cover fruit, cover for 48 hrs (stirring at least twice). Add pectinase and cover 12-24 hrs. Drain and remove nylon bag. Add tannins, booster blanc, grape concentrate, and water to make 2 gallons. Rehydrate and pitch yeast. Open air primary with cloth cover, stirring daily. Nutrients as scheduled. Typical fruit wine racking/top up/clearing/bottling/aging from there on.

I can't make up my mind if I want to make this as 2 gallons (preserving the 3 lbs/gallon ratio I intended for the gooseberries), or if it's ok to stretch to 3 gallons given the grape concentrate addition. My concern with the 3 gallons is that I only have 6 lbs of gooseberries and I fear it may thin out to much from lowering the berry ratio and from too much table sugar added to get to my target OG. Thoughts?

I decided to stretch to 3 gallons. Hopefully it doesn't thin out the flavor too much. At that volume, the sugar addition had to be increased to 3 lbs to hit my OG (ended up at 1.090). Just pitched the yeast and eager to see what this batch yeilds!

Latest posts

Back