Goose Island closing the Clybourn Brewpub.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvh261

Reaction score
http://www.suntimes.com/business/893532,gooseisland041408.article

Goose Island Beer Co. said Monday it will close its original brewpub at 1800 N. Clybourn by year-end because it has lost its lease.

The Chicago-based company, founded at the Clybourn site in 1988, will continue to operate its Wrigleyville Brewpub at 3535 N. Clark and to brew and ship beer from 1800 W. Fulton.

The company sells its beers and handcrafted sodas in 15 states and Europe.

John Hall, the company's founder and chief executive, said the Clybourn location won national and international awards and produced 2,100 batches of beer in more than 200 styles.

Twenty years, ago, it also helped revitalize an industrial area plagued by vacant buildings.

"It's a very sad day for me," Hall said of the announced closing. "The Clybourn Brewpub has been like a second home to me for the past 20 years. I've made a lot of good friends over a pint of beer."

----

That sucks... maybe they'll be scouting a new location. Its not like I go there all the time, but I usually hit it for a few rounds every now and again. The Clybourn pub is much better than the Wrigleyville pub and much closer to me.

When the Harvest Ale comes out (August?) we need to organize a trip.

jvh261 said:
... When the Harvest Ale comes out (August?) we need to organize a trip.
I'd be up for it.

Sad to see the Clybourn site close. I agree it is better than the Wigglyville location. I like the the Wigglyville site b/c it's the best and least expesive beer in the area. Beats the hell out of hell holes like the Cubby Bear and Murphy's Bleachers. Still, you have to deal with the Wrigleyfication factor, which can be pretty unbearable. The Clybourn one is much more laid back.

jvh261 said:
... Siebel's classes/classrooms are out of the Clybourn brewery. Wonder what it means for them...
Yeah, good point. Bet they'll have to move, too. The area has just become too pricey. When Goose opened it was a crappy area with a lot of vacant buildings. Now look at it!

I'm in for the Harvest Ale meet-up.

And speaking of Chicago beer joints, anyone try the Chicago Ale House on Lawerence yet? It's new, owned by the guys that own Cy's Crab house, and has a lot of beer.

vav said:
... anyone try the Chicago Ale House on Lawerence yet? ...
Never heard of it. Looks interesting - pot stickers and beer! Have to put that on my list of places to go this Summer.:)

I'm taking the day off this Thursday and the future Mrs. Rhoobarb & I are going to the Garfield Park Conservatory, then to Jak's Tap for a late lunch/early dinner. If you haven't been there, it's worth the trip.

Rhoobarb said:
Never heard of it. Looks interesting - pot stickers and beer! Have to put that on my list of places to go this Summer.:)

I'm taking the day off this Thursday and the future Mrs. Rhoobarb & I are going to the Garfield Park Conservatory, then to Jak's Tap for a late lunch/early dinner. If you haven't been there, it's worth the trip.

Bells Amber?!?!?!?!

Man, that's some sad news, was looking forward to a visit there again when I was back in town in July. Oh well, guess I'll head to Wrigleyville and a regular visit to Mickey Finn's up north.

Latest posts

Back