Goopy Krausen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeldomSeen

Reaction score
I brewed an all grain IPA on June 8th.
I used Safale-05 for my yeast.
I oxygenated the wort after chilling it and then pitched the yeast.
Normally, I watch the fermenter and when the krausen on top of the fermenting wort drops back into the wort, I move to secondary.

Initially, I had ~3-4" of krausen on top of the wort. Then it dropped to a bout 2" but then it foamed up again. This foam looks different than the initial Krausen. Rather than allot of smaller bubbles and a thinner consistency, its much much thicker, probably the color of cappucino and the consistency of pudding.

When I checked the SG after about a week, before this foam appeared, I was about 1.025 (OG was 1.075) and my target is about 1.011.

Temps have been pretty consistent 73-74 degrees F.

Is this foam anything to worry about?

I will post a pic later when I get home.

If it looks like pancake batter or pizza dough, it's normal. It's just the yeast rising to the surface as fermentation slows. I'm not sure whether US-05 is "officially" classed as a top-cropping strain, but that's how top-croppers generally behave. It'll drop out in a few days. What you're seeing is just good, clean yeast.

The only odd thing, to me, is that you're still a ways away from final gravity. I generally get this krausen (I refer to it as a "secondary" krausen in my own mind) when primary fermentation is winding up. But then I've never checked the gravity at that point. I generally wait until it looks like everything is done before bothering to check gravity.

By the way, if you use certain English strains, that "secondary" krausen will hang around for as long as a few weeks.

I had this same situation on a higher gravity Blonde Ale last week. The same goopy, think Krausen spilled out of the top of my fermenter twice in as many days.

It was a little messy to clean up, but this has since settled down and the last sample I pulled tasted fine.

For what it's worth, I'm using US-05 (as the posted above me mentioned).

If it looks like pancake batter or pizza dough, it's normal. It's just the yeast rising to the surface as fermentation slows. I'm not sure whether US-05 is "officially" classed as a top-cropping strain, but that's how top-croppers generally behave. It'll drop out in a few days. What you're seeing is just good, clean yeast.

The only odd thing, to me, is that you're still a ways away from final gravity. I generally get this krausen (I refer to it as a "secondary" krausen in my own mind) when primary fermentation is winding up. But then I've never checked the gravity at that point. I generally wait until it looks like everything is done before bothering to check gravity.

By the way, if you use certain English strains, that "secondary" krausen will hang around for as long as a few weeks.

I checked the gravity again and it hadn't changed... stil 1.025. So I transferred to a secondary and dry hopped. Tastes pretty good, albeit a bit sweet. If the points don't come down more in the next 2-3 weeks, should I pitch a bit more yeast? I could also do some yeast nutrient and engergizer.

Latest posts

Back