Goodbye stovetop biab, hello all grain for real

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstrawn

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love BIAB and have brewed some 20 batches in my kitchen, but it's messing, temp control of my mash was always an issue and boiling was a pain. While this isn't my dream HERMS system I'm excited to be moving outdoors with a burner from amazon for only $45 and a used cooler I hijacked from my parents. The time and money this will save me will be awesome, not to mention make better beer. Just ordered my computer fan for the DIY stir plate. Long story short if you're on the fence about all grain I don't think you'll regret it. Only cost me $45 plus spare copper pipe and fittings around the house.

Here's the burner. If you have a .edu email you can get free 2 day shipping with amazon prime

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers! I brew on a simple cooler MLT and outdoor burner with an aluminum (yes aluminum) pot and couldn't be happier. The cooler I already had, plus $20 in fittings and CPVC, my girlfriend bought me the burner (keeper), picked up another propane tank (plus the one for my grill) and turn out some decent beer.

Sorry for the horn tooting, all I really wanted to say is that with a little creativity and some klepto tendencies you can be all grain brewing.

Good luck gstrawn!!!

I used a bag, made a cooler mash tun, and then went back to the bag 4 brews later ... no difference at all in quality of the beer with the cooler, and it's just easier using the bag IMO ... I do think I'll move away from boiling on my stove soon though ... but I'm keeping the bag.

I used the sp10 for a bit, that's a good burner. One thing to know, the burner top is not wide enough to hold a keg. if you ever plan on boiling wort in a keg, this is not the best burner. You will have to modify it, I used to put a bbq grate over mine that was wide enough for my keg to rest nicely.

I certainly didn't mean to insinuate that BIAB isn't all grain "for real." I'm mostly just excited that I will be able to more easily control mash temps because all the finessing with the stove top was a pain and I couldn't get it stable enough. If you have a .edu email you get amazon prime for free for one year. Free 2 day shipping is wonderful. I think they have other programs for free prime also, but I'm not sure what they are.

Cheers!

thisgoestoeleven said:
I'm actually about to upgrade to BIAB from extract. I wish I had the space and money to do a 3 vessel system.

You won't regret it. I had a ton of fun doing BIAB on my stove, extract is great every now and then for the quick brew but I loe the nuances of all grain

Latest posts

Back