good starter kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistertail

Reaction score
I have never done any type of home brewing so I'm looking for a good starter kit. Have searched the there seems to be a lot of different companies selling started kits but I'm really not sure what all I need and what a good kit should consist of. Thanks for any help.

Here's all the info you'll need to know about what equipment you need....Then it's just a matter of price...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Brewing_kits

This is pretty much what's in a standard kit.

1 plastic pail fermenter
1 carboy (glass or better bottle) secondary fermenter
1 plastic bottling bucket
Airlock
Hydrometer
Racking tube with tip or Autosiphon (Go with the autosiphon you won't regret it)
6ft siphon tube
Funnel
Bottle filler
Bottle capper

I've done two full extract brews with the equipment listed above with the exception of the glass carboy. While regular brewers who know what they are doing use the 2nd fermentation for various reasons it's not required and IMO would bypass that step for at least your first brew.

I'm planning on doing a 3rd brew doing a partial boil and will probably bypass the glass carboy again but will be getting soon. Oh, I didn't use a funnel either. I will be getting an auto siphon ASAP.

Hope that helps. :mug:

You'll also need something to boil the wort in. Some people already have a decent sized stock pot to begin with, but if you don't you'll need something big enough.

That thread listed by Eves, check it out. Even though you may not want or need to use the glass carboy's it's not that much more expensive and the kits listed there are worth the money if you plan on brewing again.

Back