Good or Bad??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooterjbrew

Reaction score
First batch brewed and wondering if it looks okay....Witbier extract. Brewed on Jan 30 so tomorrow will be 14 days. Took these pics today around noon. The carboy has been covered with towels and it has stayed a pretty consistent 65degrees. Im still getting 1-2 bubbles in the airlock every 1minute. I have been scanning all of the pics through out the infected thread but some look like it, some don't so it has me wondering how its going. No samples have been pulled since OG nor has he airlock seal been broken.

The pic of the neck shows some white stuff on the inside of the carboy, there is a couple others on the top as well but it is mainly concentrated towards the neck....is this something I should be concerned about? Also on half of the headspace seems to have condensation on it....also something to be concerned about? Also, there is a pretty significant color difference about half way down the brew....the top half is quite a few shades darker than the bottom half...good/bad?

I feel like everything is going good and looks fine but my curisosity has the best of me so I would like to have a few more sets of eyes check it out....escpecially the eyes that are way more informative than mine lol :mug: and thanks for the feedback!!

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

The spots on the neck are yeast that splattered on it & grew colonies. Those are yeast rafts on the surface basically. But at 14 days in, I'm a tad suspicious of those large bubbles. Small bubble-like foamy bits would just be left-over krausen. The large bubbles could be something trying to start? Hard to say at this point? If it's at Fg & clearing Ok (the darker area) then you could bottle underneath the floaters if they don't sink.

Looks totally fine. The white blobs in the neck are bits of yeast that hit the side instead of the beer. I'm going to guess you used dry yeast, but this has happened to me with liquid as well.

The surface of your beer looks fine. The main things to look out for are anything that looks webby (like white lines attaching groups of bubbles) or bubbles with white film. Also something that looks like a layer of ice breaking up. Those are telltale signs of infection (not to say there aren't others). What you have is just a little krausen that hasn't fallen. IME, it's more common on wheats, but that could just be me. No worries either way. You can wait to see if it drops, agitate a little to see if that makes it drop, or rack from underneath it.

The color change from top to bottom is your yeast flocculating to the bottom. You have more yeast starting to settle and the top is clearer. Normally good and you might be frustrated on some strains that it is taking this long. However, wheats are generally yeastier beers and it is more "to style" to have leftover yeast in suspension in the final product. Again, absolutely nothing to worry about. On beers that are meant to be really clear, you would wait for the whole thing to look like the top (maybe even cold crash to speed the process), but if I was you I would move forward knowing that wits generally are best fresh and don't benefit much from age (especially since it sounds like your temp control was good - no need to try to age out issues).

Everything's fine.

Awesome information guys!!! This also makes me feel better, and yes I pitched dry yeast. Im going to keg this batch and will probably take a reading on Monday and again on Thursday, if good, keg then. Any advice on kegging this brew for a first timer?

Back