Good ole fermantation observations and questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berchabar

Reaction score
So my 2nd extract brew has benn fermenting for 14 days. I checked the SG and its at 1.014. When i taste the sample after i test i get some slight carbonation and if i watch very close i can see very tiny bubbles. Does this mean the yeast is still working? Or is that normal.

CO2 is a byproduct of the fermentation process, and there's a considerable amount of it dissolved in the beer, even at fermentation temperatures.
If you're tasting a sample you'll notice there's some carbonation, and as the beer warms you'll notice bubbles as the CO2 breaks out of solution.

The only way to know if fermentation has completed is to check the SG over a couple of days...

Cheers!

The typical ale yeast completes fermentation in a few days, does cleanup off byproducts for another day or so, then goes dormant. Most of the time the beer can be bottled by the 10th day but waiting longer will let more yeast settle out. Occasionally the ferment will be very slow so to be sure you would use the hydrometer to check if the beer is at the predicted FG, then check a couple days later to make sure it hasn't changed.

Here's a good article on the life cycle of yeast that give you a better understanding of what goes on when your beer ferments.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Thanks guys.

Awesome article that really breaks down what is happening!
According to the notes i have it aupposed to finish @ 1.012 so i am very close. I will check a few more times this weekend then hopefully start the cold crash.

Thanks guys.

Awesome article that really breaks down what is happening!
According to the notes i have it aupposed to finish @ 1.012 so i am very close. I will check a few more times this weekend then hopefully start the cold crash.

Don't expect to get to exactly 1.012. There are many factors that determine what the final gravity will be. I look for stable +/- 6 points. So I would look for my FG on that brew to be withing 1.018 to 1.006. If extract anything under 1.020 is probably final.

I had pictures in my head for some reason that when the yeast was done it would be flat just like after boil.

Back