Good new beer law in CT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbruneaux

Reaction score
Interesting new law took affect this month in Connecticut concerning those wanting to sell their goods!

• Farmers’ market beer sales — With respect to beer at farmers’ markets, the law establishes a farmers’ market beer permit allowing the holder to sell his or her wares at up to three locations per year on an unlimited number of occasions. The beer must be sold in sealed containers and be consumed off the premises.

Source:
http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/archives/entry/new_laws_start_this_month/

I wonder if that is allowed for the homebrewer (doubt it) or a licensed brewery. At my local farmer markets there is a row that samples and sells beer and hard liqs from a few different local breweries and distilleries.

I would assume you have to be a licensed farm brewery, which usually means you have to grow such and such percentage of your own ingredients.

I would assume you have to be a licensed farm brewery, which usually means you have to grow such and such percentage of your own ingredients.

Not in CA, at least. You just need a permit to sell beer at Farmer's Markets, which is available from the ABC. We just got an amendment to our law that will allow giving away up to 8oz per person free samples- the governor signed it a few days ago and it will take effect next year.

Here in CA, farmer's markets often have lots of handmade goods that didn't necessarily come from a "farm" so I think local beer is a good fit.

Not in CA, at least. You just need a permit to sell beer at Farmer's Markets, which is available from the ABC. We just got an amendment to our law that will allow giving away up to 8oz per person free samples- the governor signed it a few days ago and it will take effect next year.

Here in CA, farmer's markets often have lots of handmade goods that didn't necessarily come from a "farm" so I think local beer is a good fit.

Going to be different state to state, no doubt. I was just assuming, and it may not be the case for any state what so ever. But it is what it is. Still need to be state and federally licensed as a brewery, no doubt, but if you don't have to actually grow your own hops and grow/malt your own barley, that's certainly easier.

In Oregon not required to be a farm brewery, but the one I've seen at farmer's markets (Captured By Porches) also has a permit to sell at food cart pods. Several meaderies and lots of wineries also sell at farmer's markets here.

Back