Good mash temp for Brett C in secondary bpa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be brewing up a belgian pale with the Huyghe yeast and plan on a secondary with brett C. What would be a good mash temp to allow the Brett to have something to work on? Wlp545 is a very attenuative strain and I'd like to match those flavors with the mild barn and fruitiness of clausenaii. I posted this in "General techniques" but no bites....

White labs C can display some odd characteristics and might not be well suited to this. When do you want to add the brett and how long do you want to wait? If you are planning on adding it at bottling you might want to mash lower so there are fewer fermentables remaining after primary. If you're planning on adding the brett for an extended secondary, mash higher. That being said, in my experience, mash temp has less effect on attenuation than most people give it credit for.

White labs C can display some odd characteristics and might not be well suited to this. When do you want to add the brett and how long do you want to wait? If you are planning on adding it at bottling you might want to mash lower so there are fewer fermentables remaining after primary. If you're planning on adding the brett for an extended secondary, mash higher. That being said, in my experience, mash temp has less effect on attenuation than most people give it credit for.

Thanks for the response. I plan on doing a long secondary with this.

Thanks for the response. I plan on doing a long secondary with this. What kind of odd characteristics do you think appear?

What would be a good mash temp to allow the Brett to have something to work on?

brett can eat more than just sugars. its signature flavors come from brett transforming the by-products of sacch. i wouldn't worry too much about feeding brett.

That being said, in my experience, mash temp has less effect on attenuation than most people give it credit for.
agreed, especially with modern highly modified malts. there was a brewer on the Session (a few months back, an irish guy who works at a MN brewery i think) who complained that no matter what temp he mashed at, he got complete conversion in less than 20 minutes with all north american malts. the theory was that this is done to please The Big Boys (BMC).

I pitched 545 in 2 gallons, 645 in 1 gallon, 1388 in 1 gallon, and the Cuvee bugs in 1000 mls of a 1.061 sg just now at 66F. My aim is to get more top crop from the 1388 and 545 depending on how much krausen they form for a yeast bank. If anything like a 3522 krausen I'll be pleased.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418940051.518202.jpg

To get to the point: the Cuvee dregs smelled excellent! Sour with some nice funk. I decanted most of the liquid from that pint starter. The Clausenaii grew a small pellicle in the 1.030 starter 1000ml flask that was decanted as well. Definitely a rustic smell to it that reminded me of most beers bottled with brett.

Back