Good Dry Yeast for Barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davarm

Reaction score
I plan on making an extract version of a Barleywine, possibly the Bigfoot Clone from the Beer Captured book. I would like to substitute a dry yeast in place of Wyeast 1056 American or 1028 London. No particular reason; I just prefer working with dry yeasts.

Any suggestions? I've seen a few Barleywine recipes using Safale S-04.

Nottinghams has better attenuation than S-04... I would use Notty. You will need multiple packs depending on the OG... probably ~3 packs? Alternatively, if you wanted to use liquid, WLP001 would do well...

davarm said:
I would like to substitute a dry yeast in place of Wyeast 1056 American or 1028 London.

Wyeast 1056 = Safale US-05 (formerly known as US-56)

I tend to stick with dry yeasts for my ales. I've had great success with US-05, S-04 and Nottingham. You'd be fine with any of them.

For an American version I would use US-05 which is basically the same yeast as WY1056. For an English version Nottingham would be a good choice. I use S-04 on alot of my english ales but I don't think in attenuates well enough for something like a Barleywine.

Craig

Back