Good DME base recipe for testing hop flavours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I'd quite like to get an idea of the effect different hops have on the flavour/bitterness etc of beers so I was thinking of brewing a set of 1 gallon batches and using a single hop in each. I only do DME recipes but wondered whether anyone had a suggestion for a good base that would really allow the hops to shine. Ideally I was thinking of doing an IPA and thought I might steep grains and boil DME based on a 5 Gallon recipe and then split it into 5 smaller pots.

I was thinking maybe the following 5 hops:

• Simcoe
  • Amarillo
  • Cascade
  • Chinook
  • A.N. Other

Any suggestions on hop choices (including what would be a good 5th).

Also, what should I do about yeast. Is overpitching/underpitching a problem? I don't have very acurate scales so splitting a pack into 5 equal portions won't be practical (I use dry yeast).

The yeast are going to multiply on their own, so being off by a little in the beginning isn't really going to change things. Just eyeball it and call it good.

As for the base, I would keep it simple if you're really looking to taste the hops. For an IPA, I'm thinking 7-8 lbs of light DME and maybe 1/2 lb of carapils. You could swap the carapils for crystal malt if you want to go a little darker, but I wouldn't go too crazy with it.

Also, if you want to simplify your brew day a little, you could probably do a 5 gallon boil with a clean bittering hop like Magnum and no late additions. Once you're through primary, you could then split it into 5 different secondaries and dry-hop with the different varieties.

I'd nominate Centennial for a 5th hop - goes with your theme and I've had good success with all Centennial beers before. Bunch of additions 15 to 0 + dry hop with the grain bill above sounds good (I personally like just a little crystal, but agreed I'd keep it to about 1/2 lb for 5 gallon).

Back