Good Deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTCS

Reaction score
Started cold crashing last night, then read that it can be bad because of the O2 suckback. That lead me to researching how to stop that, and from there I just decided it was time to start kegging.

I'm wondering if this system is a good deal to start, they have free shipping going on right now too. Also, am I reading that description right, it comes with two kegs, one new and one used?

Just my 2c

I personally don't like that kit - with that CO2 tank you'll have to prime with sugar and use CO2 to dispense (or fill the tank much more often if carbing from the tank).

I have a 5# tank and would like to get a 10# for my 3 keg system.

If you are going to travel with it often, then I would say that's a good deal as it does look like it comes with two kegs, then you could add on a bigger tank/regulator to your main system.

So I would be better off with something like this one? I know a lot of people end up choosing betwee ball/pin lock just because they happen to find a used one of a style first. But if I had my choice is there a reason to start with one over the other?

If I bought a separate bigger tank would that make the other deal good? I noticed one has a single gauge, and the other a dual gauge regulator. Does the dual tell you what's left in the CO2 tank and how much is going into the keg or do the two serve some other purpose? I would usually research more myself before asking but that deal ends tonight and I'm not sure my kids will give me enough time.

Started cold crashing last night, then read that it can be bad because of the O2 suckback. That lead me to researching how to stop that, and from there I just decided it was time to start kegging.

I'm wondering if this system is a good deal to start, they have free shipping going on right now too. Also, am I reading that description right, it comes with two kegs, one new and one used?

I agree. You need a bigger tank. Get at least 5lb. Maybe even 10. Price is very good for two kegs. I thought it was just one keg at first. Also you may want to Check kegconnection.com. They sell used kegs for $25-$30 with full regulator set sometimes. You don't need second pressure gauge as CO2 is liquid and you won't know how much liquid is left anyways. They are only useful for compressed gases not for liquified gases.

I would relax and forget the deal. It is time to do some research into what you need. The ball lock kegs a generally preferred they tend to be less troublesome they are taller and skinnier . most people tend to do a freezer that is converted with tempature control for kegging. A fridge will work but the floor space is smaller so it limits you quicker. The gauges do what you say though it could be easier to just use a manifold if you are doing more than 1 keg. Cold crash is helpful but not a must and 02 suckback is seldom if ever a problem. A 5 lb tank is fine but a bigger tank is better but a combination of both prevents you from not having kegged beer ready to go. Don't be in a hurry craiglist has deals all the time. I thought 2 kegs would be enough for me and I was wrong. I currently have 3 on tap and a fourth waiting to be filled.:mug:

Good deal? I would say yes and no.
The first one will not accept the larger co2 tanks. The regulator is set up to attach on the top of the tank. The bigger co2 tanks have a valve on top and the gas port on the side.
It does seem to come with 2 kegs, one new and one used. But the setup can only feed one at a time. You would need to add a Y adapter and valve, another set of liquid and gas connectors, beer and gas hoses and another picnic tap.
I would expect that small tank to last for only a couple of kegs full.

But you do get a new keg. Most of the other stuff would get replaced relatively quickly.

Pin locks are now cheaper than ball locks. I have ball locks and don't really know the pros and cons. Pin lock kegs (not converted) are shorter and bigger in diameter.

I got my kit a few years ago. It was $10 more than the second one you posted. It came with 2 kegs and the setup to run both at the same time. The regulator I got was cheap and has given me some fits. A new one has been ordered!

I wouldn't buy something just to start that will most likely be replaced later.Spend the money once and be done with it.Youll save money in the long run..The very first thing I would do is check craigslist for a used kegerator.I would also look into building one.
Also,spend the extra money on perlick flow control taps,There the best thing to happen to kegging and take a look into sixtel kegs.Theres no gaskets to worry about leaking and you can buy a regular keg when you want.(same connection)My cornys are collecting dust in the basement

So I would be better off with something like this one? I know a lot of people end up choosing betwee ball/pin lock just because they happen to find a used one of a style first. But if I had my choice is there a reason to start with one over the other?

If I bought a separate bigger tank would that make the other deal good? I noticed one has a single gauge, and the other a dual gauge regulator. Does the dual tell you what's left in the CO2 tank and how much is going into the keg or do the two serve some other purpose? I would usually research more myself before asking but that deal ends tonight and I'm not sure my kids will give me enough time.

Yes, IMO it's a better deal. Better regulator, better CO2 tank.

ChelisHubby is correct in that you need to do some research on this. A kit deal is a deal provided it has what you really want.

IMO, you need:

• Regulator w/ two gauges, one for keg pressure, one for tank pressure.
  • Good kegs (one to start, then move up from there).
  • Good CO2 tank, at least 5#. I have two 5# tanks, one as a spare or if I need one for bottling w/ a bottling wand.
  • Picnic tap for serving
  • Quick gas-side disconnect, plus tubing and clamps to connect regulator.

The second kit has all that--what you need to do is make sure it's got quality stuff.

BTW, the traditional corny (soda) kegs work fine, but if you're going to buy new, consider MoreBeer's torpedo kegs. I have three, they are the nuts. I also have five of the soda kegs. The soda kegs are cheaper if you buy them used (I bought 5 of them for $250 which was a pretty good deal), but I may at some point sell them off to get cash for Torpedo kegs.

BTW, the traditional corny (soda) kegs work fine, but if you're going to buy new, consider MoreBeer's torpedo kegs. I have three, they are the nuts. I also have five of the soda kegs. The soda kegs are cheaper if you buy them used (I bought 5 of them for $250 which was a pretty good deal), but I may at some point sell them off to get cash for Torpedo kegs.

Other than the integral metal handles and possibly the welds?? what makes them any different than a traditional corny keg? They look the same and you can buy new Italian corny kegs for less. My used cornies have good welds, I have never looked at a new one.

Other than the integral metal handles and possibly the welds?? what makes them any different than a traditional corny keg? They look the same and you can buy new Italian corny kegs for less. My used cornies have good welds, I have never looked at a new one.

They're lighter, and they don't have the black base that marks up everything.

Back