Good deal for a brew pot???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I can get the Bayou Classic 36qt SS pot for $65 w/free shipping from this place:

Stainless Steel Stock Pot & Lid 36 Qt.

Is this a good deal? I am looking to upgrade to a bigger pot and burner to finally transition to full boils. I've seen alot of threads on the Bayou Classic brand for pots and especially burners. I think I found the SQ-14 burner for like $49 w/free shipping somwhere as well but,I did not save the link.

If anyone has any advice/info on better deals for equipment I'd surely appreciate it!

Yes its a good deal, economy kettles that are only 30 quart are 78.99 + shipping at Northern.

I might actually order one myself, thanks for the heads up!

The B/C stainless is a good pot. I have the 44 qt. That being said they are a bit thin and certainly can't be compared to the higher end stuff, obviously...look at the price. Lately I've been into aluminum and ordered one here for pennies. Stockpot - Royal Palm Restaurant & Event Supply

recieved the pot today and seems like a great value!

If you want stainless, the B/C you are looking at seems like a decent deal.

That's a pretty good deal for SS. Check out instawares.com , I got my 50qt Aluminum for $61 shipped and the thing is pretty heavy duty, just a little less than a 1/4" thick. I think you could go up to a 60qt for another 10 bucks, if you're so inclined.

I can get the Bayou Classic 36qt SS pot for $65 w/free shipping from this place:

Stainless Steel Stock Pot & Lid 36 Qt.

Is this a good deal? I am looking to upgrade to a bigger pot and burner to finally transition to full boils. I've seen alot of threads on the Bayou Classic brand for pots and especially burners. I think I found the SQ-14 burner for like $49 w/free shipping somwhere as well but,I did not save the link.

If anyone has any advice/info on better deals for equipment I'd surely appreciate it!

Did you ever order one? Just curious how it worked out, how long it took to ship and what exactly the vented lid is like?

Just wanted to add to this to see what you guys thought of this deal:

BREWER'S EDGE 32 QUART BREWKETTLE @ Williams Brewing

Seems like a good deal for stainless w/ a valve no less! I would be tempted to go for the 40 qt. for another $20.

BREWER'S EDGE 40 QUART BREWKETTLE @ Williams Brewing

IMO a larger kettle is the way to go if your burner and methods can accomodate it. 32 qt or 8 gal. is probably the bare minimum for 5 gal. batches. You will have to watch it like a hawk...contend w/ boilovers and or possibly use foam control...up to you???

Thanks for the heads up! I just picked up the SS 36 qt stock pot for $65 and the SQ14 for $48 from that place. Free shipping even! Hopefully it comes next week sometime so I can brew next weekend. Finally I can start moving to full boils & all grain!

Let me know how that works out for you nopride, that is exactly what I am thinking of doing. I get paid Tuesday and was wanting to do my first full boil soon. And I think I was gonna order that pot and either the Banjo burner or SQ-14. If you can post back how long it takes to get 6-7 gallons of water to a boil with your SQ-14 I would appreciate it.

Will do! I should be able to use this next weekend - provided I get it by then. It's 5 day shipping, so I'm hoping I get it by then.

Awesome! I was just gonna post for more advice on pots, so please let me know how it works out for you. I am especially interrested in how the burner performs.

Ok, I gave it a test run tonight with water. It went well. The pot seems like a good size for 5 gallon batches. I tried a 6 gallon boil as the batch I am going to do tomorrow is an extract, so I figured this would be a good place to start for an hour boil.

It took around 32 mins to come to a full boil. I'm in MN, so it was around 40 and a little windy - plus our tap water is pretty cold. So it's definitely got plenty of heat for 5 gallon batches. I can't test for a 10 gallon if that's the size you're planning for. However, I've read people using it for sizes that big. If you end up going with this burner, definitely give it a test run first because it burns off the paint and let's off plenty of nasty fumes.

I ended up pretty close with the 6 gallon guess. I boiled for an hour and I ended up with maybe a quart shy of 5 gallons.

Hope this helps with your decision!

Thanks, for the input, I think I am going to go for the SQ-14 burner I can always modify it later if I need to, I have seen a thead here where someone put the SQ-10 burner into the SQ-14 stand, at any rate, thanks again for the great info, I shoulda bought that pot when I posted it because now it is up to $89! I found some other real good deals though, happy brewing.

Latest posts

Back