Good cooler thermowell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need to replace the instant-read thermometer that is jammed into my 10 gallon Igloo mash tun. I was thinking of just putting a thermowell in. I searched Bobby's site and didn't necessarily see what I was looking for. What thermowells have y'all put into these?

You could put one in the top/lid as long as it's long enough to reach into the mash (no matter how deep in the cooler). Benefit of not needing to worry about wort leaking out of the cooler that way. ;)

Maybe one of these: Weldless Thermowells from Brewers Hardware
You could also get one of their straight wall thermowells and secure it in the lid.
https://www.brewershardware.com/Thermowells/Straight-Wall-Thermowells/They have a lip at the opening that flares out slightly. Use some food safe silicone and it should be GTG (for short $$).

Thanks! How would that work in the side of the cooler? I'm having trouble visualizing it.
Not exactly sure if this is what Bobby meant, but I'm thinking a silicone grommet with an ID suitable to seal against the probe shaft of the thermometer/sensor fitted to a hole drilled through the inside wall of the tun.

You'll have to ensure the slit of the grommet is a match or slightly thinner than the wall, and the wall hole is a tight fit for the outer diameter of the grommet. You might still need some sealant if something leaks.

A proper thermowell as linked by Golddiggie would form that seal, even the straight walled one with sealant would be preferable as you can remove the probe without having an unplugged drain hole in you tun.

Back