good cider yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titch10169

Reaction score
hi guys wats a good yeast to use im doing an on the rocks blubery cider kit which yeast should i use thanks

Not sure about the kit you are using -- blueberry cider sounds good, though. Don't kits usually come with yeast?

I like Nottingham for cider.

You'll get good results with an ale yeast. I like Nottingham, but I've also used S-04 & S-05 with good results.
Regards, GF.

Yeah it came with a yeast but didnt say in the description so i bought mangrove jacks m02 so dont know which one to use now as the kit came with yeast and neutrient but the yeast i bought is just a yeast with no neutrient hmmm

This may not be common, but I made my first batch with WY3711 'french saison' and it's pretty darn good. The 'tart and peppery' character of the yeast seems to compliment apple well for my palate, and the wife approves of it also.

Took the gravity from 1.055 to 1.004 with a filtered and pasteurized (no additives) apple juice. I dumped it right on to the yeast cake + nutrient and O2, let it ferment at about 80F for 2.5 weeks before tasting.

There are many that use Pasteur Red for cider making. It ferment quickly, and will tolerate up to 14% alcohol. I believe it is a perfect choice when making apple jack is the planned outcome.

Never had a problem with 71B or Premier Cuvee but these are wine yeasts and they will emphasize quite different flavor profiles than Nottingham and other ale and beer yeasts will. They will happily work on the apple juice whether the SG is 1.050 or 1.090 and bring both down to .996 without a care.

I just started 3 5gal batches (local orchard sells bulk dump unpasteurized cider for $3.50 a gal :rockin: ). One with S-04, one Notty, and one with BRY-97. Never used BRY-97 before. It took off the slowest, but eventually had a huge krausen and even bubbled some out the airlock. Looking forward to trying them all :mug:

Latest posts

Back