good brewing books?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhudson3030

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody knew of any good up to date books on brewing. I already have "how to brew" and I think thats a great book but just looking for some more. I'd like to get all the info I can

brewing classsic styles. And if you're into belgians, brew like a monk/farmhouse ales are both great.

J.P.'s 'How to Brew' is a classic and a good starter. Charlie P.'s 'Joy of Homebrewing' is another clasic, although for me it was more entertainment- Charlie is a good story teller. He also has one or two(I think) updated versions. My 1st book was Snyder's 'The Brewmaster's Bible'. I got alot of good info. from there, and I found the index is much easier to use than 'How to Brew'- ie. it's easier to look up something to refresh my memory.
And when you get more into it- 'Yeast' was absolutely fantastic, and 'Water' incredibly detailed(and a little tough to slog through). I haven't yet got 'Hops' and am looking forward to 'Malts'.
Yeah- my mom was a librarian and I like to read...........

Brewing Classic Styles - it is more than just recipes. I make a pretty good northern brown, it is not Jamil's Nutcastle recipe, but the directions/recommendations he provides with his recipe helped mine get even better. I regularly consult the style notes for whatever I am brewing. Bonus, the recipes when used come from Jamil and John and you could definitely do worse than that...

Yes, Designing Great Beers, by Ray Daniels has been a great resource for creating recipes though some of the info is beggining to become dated. If you brew IPA's or are interested in the style Mitch Steeles book titled IPA is a great read with both history and modern techniques. I also own the Hops, Water and Yeast books from the "brewing elements" series. Highly recommend the Yeast book and the other two have been great resources as well though I haven't gone all the way through them.

Water, Hops, Yeast by Brewers Publications.

I really like the water book actually. I read that for fun. I haven't started Hops but it is in the hopper. Yeast is alright. I use it more for a reference book. But it looks good on the shelf.

The Joy of Homebrewing is almost required reading, if only for the Cock Ale recipe. The Homebrewer's Companion is good as well.

Designing Great Beers, Brewing Classic Styles, Brew Like a Monk, Radical Brewing, For the Love of Hops, Water, Yeast, Brewing Better Beer by Gordon Strong, any book by Michael Jackson, the Lager book by Noonan, and the "Classic Styles" series by Brewers Publications are all fairly good.

Water, Hops, Yeast by Brewers Publications.

I really like the water book actually. I read that for fun. I haven't started Hops but it is in the hopper. Yeast is alright. I use it more for a reference book. But it looks good on the shelf.

I loved the yeast book! There was a lot of information that went over my head..but i learned so much from it, and I also use it as a reference book too. I need to get the rest of the series, I definitely want to read the water book next.

Back