Good Beer or Breweries Around Long Beach?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doog_Si_Reeb

Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there. The wife and I are heading to Long Beach, CA for a wedding reception. Anyone have recommendations for good beer bars or breweries in or around Long Beach? Thanks! :mug:

I work in LB. Sorry to say, not much here. You might have some luck downtown in the Queen Mary area. There are a few little bars along 2nd street in Belmont Shores

Rock bottom brewery on pine and ocean is pretty good. Congregation Ale House is a few blocks south of rock bottom and Belmont brewing is maybe a mile south right at the belmont pier.

Another option is heading south a bit to Manhattan Beach. Beer isn't too bad, food's pretty decent, and there are a lot of hotties walking around the area.

I used to travel to Irvine, CA for work, and would fly home on the Thursday evening redeye. I'd drop my luggage off at LAX around 6PM, drive to Manhattan Beach for beers and dinner, drive back to Hertz, and take shuttle back to airport. Used to do it every other week like clockwork!

We'll be staying about 1/2 mile from Pine Ave area. Not too far from the Queen Mary. We're thinking about doing the touristy LA/Hollywood thing but haven't decided yet. The Congregation Ale House looks like it has a pretty good selection.

Another option is heading south a bit to Manhattan Beach. Beer isn't too bad, food's pretty decent, and there are a lot of hotties walking around the area.

I used to travel to Irvine, CA for work, and would fly home on the Thursday evening redeye. I'd drop my luggage off at LAX around 6PM, drive to Manhattan Beach for beers and dinner, drive back to Hertz, and take shuttle back to airport. Used to do it every other week like clockwork!

It has been a number of years but I'm pretty sure manhattan beach is about 18 miles north of long beach.

In Long beach, I recall enjoying "the yard house". a lot of beers on tap, served out of the yard tall glasses.

It has been a number of years but I'm pretty sure manhattan beach is about 18 miles north of long beach.

In Long beach, I recall enjoying "the yard house". a lot of beers on tap, served out of the yard tall glasses.

I didn't realize there was a Yard House there. The one in Waikiki was awesome! That may have to be the requisite beer stop in Long Beach. And it's about a 15 minute walk from the hotel. :drunk:

We'll be staying about 1/2 mile from Pine Ave area. Not too far from the Queen Mary. We're thinking about doing the touristy LA/Hollywood thing but haven't decided yet. The Congregation Ale House looks like it has a pretty good selection.

Hollywood is a shvt hole. Go to LACMA or The Getty instead.

Personally, I would recommend Congregation Ale House over Yard House, especially that one in Long Beach.

Beachwood BBQ is also a good choice if you are willing to drive.

If you want to come up by me Naja's Place in Redondo Beach has probably the best craft beer selection in LA. Mediterraneo on the pier in Hermosa Beach also has a good selection and good tapas, and if you go for happy hour they have some pretty good deals.

Belmont Brewing is in fact a brewery in Long Beach, but it is not very good and I cannot recommend it.

I had to go back and look, and you're right. Not sure why I was thinking about it being south of Long Beach...

I know it's probably too late for the OP, but for anybody else checking this thread, Naja's in Redondo Beach has about 80 taps, always has LOTS of beers you'll have trouble finding anywhere else in So Cal (or the country, in many cases). Only about a 20-30 minute drive from Long Beach. It's right on the King Harbor boardwalk, with boats on one side and Najas on the other. Their pub food is tasty, too.

As to Hollywood, I grew up there, and some of it IS still a sh!thole, but a lot of it has been revitalized in the last 10 years or so. The Blue Palms bar is a good beer destination, truly catering to beer geeks, and it's half a block from the corner of Hollywood and Vine. Moreover, if you're in LB, you can take the Metro Blue Line, change to the Red line at Metro Center station downtown, and get off at the Hollywood and Vind station. Or take it all the way to Universal City, go to the theme park, the City Walk (llok it up), and then catch the Blue Palm on the way back.

I'm a bit late to the show but just went to Congregation Ale House in Long Beach. Good selection and good food too. The way you order is odd. You mainly order from a register at the bar then they give you a number on a stick. I wasn't a fan of that part.

As of TUESDAY there is a Beachwood Brewery just up the block from the Congregation. They were packed and it appeared they were in fact brewing on site. For whatever reason I didn't even realize this was happening.

Belmont Brewing is a short walk from my place but unfortunately it is consistently disapointing. The food is questionable, they never get things up to health code and their beers quite frankly leave a lot to be desired. Such a shame really!

The Yard House is always good as is Rock Bottom.

I'm a bit late to the show but just went to Congregation Ale House in Long Beach. Good selection and good food too. The way you order is odd. You mainly order from a register at the bar then they give you a number on a stick. I wasn't a fan of that part.

As of TUESDAY there is a Beachwood Brewery just up the block from the Congregation. They were packed and it appeared they were in fact brewing on site. For whatever reason I didn't even realize this was happening.

Belmont Brewing is a short walk from my place but unfortunately it is consistently disapointing. The food is questionable, they never get things up to health code and their beers quite frankly leave a lot to be desired. Such a shame really!

The Yard House is always good as is Rock Bottom.

*edit* just read a pile of yelp reviews for Rock Bottom. Seems they were bought be a conglomerate of some sort and have taken a turn for the worst. What a shame.

I haven't been to the new location yet, but I had a couple of the Beachwood beers when they were serving at NHC on Pro Brewer's night. The brewer there, Julian, is a long time member of the Long Beach Home Brewers.

Julian Shrago is well known for his brews. His IPA won the "best brew" by attendee votes at the 2009 NHC in Oakland. I haven't been down to Beachwood yet, but will definitely go the next time I'm in the area (it's about 50 miles from home, but still part of the "greater L.A. area") Hmmm, Beachwood, then Naja's on the way back... Sounds like a road trip!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that he also brews great beer. It's always a pleasure when he brings something to a club meeting. He also tends to show up with big bags of hops to raffle off, too.

Back