Good and bad beer day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex60

Reaction score
The bad came in the results from my first competition but not that the results were bad but the confusion caused by them, one judge talked about the beer being old, both judges talked about oxidation. The beer was a gluten free that was if anything sent too early, and needed some age on it but I was getting good response from the first tastings so I entered it. My daughter is the one sensitive to gluten and she loves it, so that goal was accomplished. This beer was a true gluten free with all ingredients 100% gluten free, which is a difficult thing to do, and have it taste like real beer. The other bad is I finished a keg and find myself with no beer.

The good came from my son, today he was sitting in the car waiting for my wife at her work and at the side of the building in the bushes was a full size keg! So now I have two kegs for a brewing rig, the first one just got the top cut out of it three days ago and it is soaking with some oxy clean. I also picked up a 10 gal cooler for a mash tun so I just need my false bottoms and hardware and I can make the leap into all grain. I have ingredients for two more extract batches by then I will have my equipment ready for all grain.

The bad came in the results from my first competition but not that the results were bad but the confusion caused by them, one judge talked about the beer being old, both judges talked about oxidation. The beer was a gluten free that was if anything sent too early, and needed some age on it but I was getting good response from the first tastings so I entered it. My daughter is the one sensitive to gluten and she loves it, so that goal was accomplished. This beer was a true gluten free with all ingredients 100% gluten free, which is a difficult thing to do, and have it taste like real beer. The other bad is I finished a keg and find myself with no beer.

The good came from my son, today he was sitting in the car waiting for my wife at her work and at the side of the building in the bushes was a full size keg! So now I have two kegs for a brewing rig, the first one just got the top cut out of it three days ago and it is soaking with some oxy clean. I also picked up a 10 gal cooler for a mash tun so I just need my false bottoms and hardware and I can make the leap into all grain. I have ingredients for two more extract batches by then I will have my equipment ready for all grain.

If your boiling kettle is big enough for a full volume boil, you could buy a paint strainer bag and be brewing all grain today. It really takes very little equipment to get started all grain if you BIAB. I started with a 5 gallon pot and did half size batches. I love it because I don't have to find a place to store the big cooler and I never worry about a stuck sparge, even with something as sticky as wheat or rye.:ban::mug:

I'm not going to do the BIAB route. It works for some but I prefer to go a more traditional route.

Back