Good Activity in Fermenter...Nothing on Airlock or Blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyATCBrewer

Reaction score
Very new homebrewer here. I'm on my third ever batch and my first ever AG BIAB brew. The issue I'm having is pretty well explained in the title, but here's a little background:

Being a new brewer and an even newer AG brewer, I lack some AG equipment (Mash Tun to be specific). So I was forced to use brew an AG recipe with an extract kit using this guide (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/all-grain-brewing-extract-brewing-equipment-pics-142648/). I brewed on Saturday and my first AG batch went relatively well. I brewed a slight modification of a Citra IPA (2.5 gal) (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/citra-ipa-236086/). My changes to the recipe were minor...hops quantities and times as well as the addition of 1/2 lb honey at secondary. So here's what DIDN'T go as planned:

1. During the mash, I had a hard time maintaining the target temperature. I was about 10*F below target.d
2. After cooling, I moved to primary, sealed the lid and put on the airlock (3-piece), but approx. 12 hours later I glanced at it to see how it was doing and noticed that despite activity in the fermenter, there was nothing on the airlock. After a closer look, I failed to add enough sanitized water to the airlock, which I immediately corrected and got activity as soon as I did.
3. This is also my first 2.5 gal batch and I didn't have the foresight to get a hydrometer reading prior to moving to primary...the wort was too shallow.
4. I'm US Army and stationed in Korea. This time of year is MISERABLE due to heat and humidity. Since I moved to the primary, I haven't seen the thermometer drop below 77*F and that was at night. It's typically around 79-80* during the day.

I checked it again the next morning and there was again no activity on the airlock and activity in the fermenter had slowed considerably. I figured that could be normal, but as of Tuesday there was still no activity in the airlock OR fermenter. To help "motivate" my yeast, I added .5# of honey and immediately got activity in the fermentor, but still nothing on the airlock.
I have removed the airlock and swapped out for a blowoff tube...still nothing. I've also checked as much as I can for leaks in the seal of the lid, but I can't find anything.

I understand that airlock activity isn't always indicative of fermentation, but it's troubling. I may be over thinking things, but I just thought I'd see if anyone could offer any valuable input.

Cheers!

Sounds like your primary has a leak that allowed fermentation gasses to escape and bypass the airlock. No big deal. So long as flies are kept out and no dust motes can fall onto the beer, you'll be fine.

I'd be more concerned for the temp your yeast fermented at. If the thermometer on the primary was 77F you're going to have a very fruity and estery IPA. The honey will have fermented fully so you'll possibly have a fairly hot alcohol note to it.

When you say you have activity in the fermenter: what kind of fermenter? How are you able to know you have activity? Is it clear that you can see the wort churning due to yeast activity?
The typical white plastic bucket lids are terrible at sealing. Even with wetting the gasket before installing the lid they can easily leak. I use an S-bubbler so you can see a difference in height of the water to know the bucket is under positive pressure and at least sealing out wild bacteria.
10deg low on mash temp could greatly impact your available sugars. Did you do a starch conversion test? It depends on your target temp: hitting 145 instead of 155 isn't as bad as only hitting 135 instead of 145. You'll have a pretty dry beer, but you also may have very little fermentable sugar (aside from your added honey).

If you're sure that you have active fermentation then ignore the bubbler, it is only there as a pressure release.

When you say you have activity in the fermenter: what kind of fermenter? How are you able to know you have activity? Is it clear that you can see the wort churning due to yeast activity?
The typical white plastic bucket lids are terrible at sealing. Even with wetting the gasket before installing the lid they can easily leak. I use an S-bubbler so you can see a difference in height of the water to know the bucket is under positive pressure and at least sealing out wild bacteria.
10deg low on mash temp could greatly impact your available sugars. Did you do a starch conversion test? It depends on your target temp: hitting 145 instead of 155 isn't as bad as only hitting 135 instead of 145. You'll have a pretty dry beer, but you also may have very little fermentable sugar (aside from your added honey).

If you're sure that you have active fermentation then ignore the bubbler, it is only there as a pressure release.

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been pretty tied up with work stuff. I'm using an Ale Pale...just a standard brew kit bucket. I could tell there was activity just peering through the airlock. When there's activity it's a lighter color and when it dies out/off a darker color. I didn't do a starch conversion test, in fact this is the first I've heard of that. Please direct me to some reading references for this if you don't mind. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. Also, after a closer look, I was only about 5* off target. Still not where I wanna be, but I think getting more appropriate equipment could help me out in that area. I appreciate your input/advice! Like I said...I just wanna learn at this point. I feel so behind the power curve. I'm really hoping that, for all the errors, this'll turn out to be the best beer I've ever had. I'll post an update when I crack it. Thanks again!:mug:

Sounds like it's fermenting OK. As previously said, probably just a leak. The high temp may be the bigger issue. Depends on the yeast you used. Some can tolerate the higher temps better than others. Look around the website for information on using a "swamp cooler". Just a tub filled with water to put the fermenter in. Cover it with a towel or old t-shirt that you keep wet and it lowers the temp about 5F. For future brews, maybe try a Belgian. They love higher temps. When in Rome .... (or Korea). BTW, thank you for your service.

Being in the military isn't always easy, but it's a pleasure. Thanks for your support! I'm using Safale US-05. Admittedly I don't know nearly as much as I'd like to about yeast, but I'm still learning. And as a matter of fact a Belgian Quad is on my list if future brews! I just picked up BLAM and I'm slowly reading through it.

Something to do in a hot climate to get that temp lower is to get a wet towel, wrap the fermentor and put a fan on it - good for 5 degrees lower or more depending on evaporation.

As for the bubbles - 100% it's a leak somewhere - not actually a big worry since where ever it's leaking is blowing OUT. It's impossible to have an active fermentation and no CO2 escaping SOMEWHERE!

BTW - thank you for serving!!

Yep, sounds like a leaky lid - I'm having that issue for the first time myself after 2+ years of brewing. Its unsettling to not see airlock activity, but one look inside told me not to worry. As far as no more (visible) activity in your fermenter, its likely chewed through most of the fermentables at an accelerated pace given the temps you mention. Still, you'll want to give it more time to "clean up". US-05 is a great yeast and reasonably tolerant of higher temps, although over 72 or so ambient would potentially become an off-flavor producing environment. Then again it may be great - RDWHAHB as far as that goes. You mentioned doing Belgians - that's probably a great idea given your temps, particularly saisons.

A little follow-up...I cracked this a week or so ago and it turned out FAR better than I expected! Aside from slightly low carbonation due to mismeasuring carbing sugar. But you know...live and learn and drink plenty of homebrew in the process. I'll definitely be making this again! Thanks for the advice and encouragement! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411602017.873515.jpg

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back