gonna build a big one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtockst

Reaction score
I'm designing a brewing setup using 2" square A36 tubing. My design totalled about 72 feet in steel. I am looking at ordering 9 x 8' pieces from onlinemetals.com. The total for that order, including regular shipping, is $429. Does that sound reasonable? I've read a couple places that buying steel from a local supplier is cheaper because you won't have to pay shipping, but I've also heard arguments against that. What do you all think?

Online metals is pricey.
A local metal supply is going to be cheaper.
You can pick up the steel yourself and save on freight charges too.
Steel from a supplier is sold in 20 foot lengths
They will cut your steel in half usually for free, or for a minimal charge to make it easier to haul in pick-up.
Also, the price varies with the wall thickness, so go with what's cheapest.
I don't know what your design needs are but anything between .065" and .125" should be plenty thick enough for a brewstand. Just get what ever thickness saves you money.

Yeah, working for a company (formerly) that purchases metal by the truckload, i would not advise ordering any metal online unless it's just a gateway for a local company. Often times, in the case of this company out here, they deliver it as part of the sell price and send it in whatever length you wish.

Save money, buy local.

That sounds really high, I would try to find a local place. My local metal distributor sells 2x2 16-gauge steel tubing for $31.60 per 20-foot stick. They also have a scrap pile at $0.65 per pound.

I pulled most of what I needed off the scrap pile (all matched, clean, 16-gauge), cost me $44. I will have to buy four longer pieces, which will run ~$40, including cuts. Total = ~$88.

Wow, thanks for the help everyone. Funny thing is, I talked to a local brewery owner about it, and he advised me to buy it from metalsdepot.com!!! I don't think there's too many metal suppliers around here (not that I know of), but I'll definitely be looking for them.

Another question: The stand will be a 3 vessel, single tier system. I'm looking at having 75, 65, and 65 gallon vessels. If I'm using 2" square tubing, do I really need the 11 gauge steel? I'm not an engineer, and have limited experience with the structural integrity of steel, so trying to figure out the minimum strength metal I can use is a bit hard.

http://www.gashosesandregulators.com/jetburners.html

880K BTU jet burner???? Holy ###$. Anyway, if my vessel sizes are 75, 65, and 65 gallons, do I need more than a 200K burner? I figured I could go with a 320K btu burner, but I'd be afraid of scorching the wort. The kettles I'll have are about 24 or 25 inches in diameter, and I believe they are 16 gauge steel all the way around. No extra thickness on bottom.

Wow, thanks for the help everyone. Funny thing is, I talked to a local brewery owner about it, and he advised me to buy it from metalsdepot.com!!! I don't think there's too many metal suppliers around here (not that I know of), but I'll definitely be looking for them.

Another question: The stand will be a 3 vessel, single tier system. I'm looking at having 75, 65, and 65 gallon vessels. If I'm using 2" square tubing, do I really need the 11 gauge steel? I'm not an engineer, and have limited experience with the structural integrity of steel, so trying to figure out the minimum strength metal I can use is a bit hard.

It all depends on several factors.
Such as the design, the length of the unsupported spans, any bracing, the calculated weight of the load, and temperature.
Without a stress analysis all you can do is guess, but 11 gauge will definitely be able to support your kettles without a problem.

My single tier https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/brutus-lite-229930/ is made of 2" x .125" wall 6061 T6 Aluminum which is almost 6 feet long with no support between the legs and I can jump up and down on it without it even flexing

Just do like most engineers, and over engineer it.

Latest posts

Back